Cebolla & Cebula

< Previous | Next >

ElGrebo

UK, English
I'm fascinated by the origin of the word for Onion in Spanish as it does not appear to comply with the expected Latin inheritance. Instead it is closer to the Polish (Cebula).

Can anyone help with this one? I'm aware that onions came from central Asia originally so is Cebolla a more Arabic word??

• Probo

Español
    I'm fascinated by the origin of the word for Onion in Spanish as it does not appear to comply with the expected Latin inheritance. Instead it is closer to the Polish (Cebula).

Can anyone help with this one? I'm aware that onions came from central Asia originally so is Cebolla a more Arabic word??
    Hello: It cames from Latin, I'm afraid.
    Cebolla,1227. Del lat. "cepulla", diminutivo de "cepa"(=cebolla).
    From Joan Corominas, Breve Diccionario Etimológico de la Lengua Castellana. Saludos.

ElGrebo

UK, English
    Ahh, I'd not thought of that. Seemed too distant from Unio which I thought was Latin for Onion or the Allium (Garlic) family.

Gracias por su tiempo :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PacoBajito

Italiano standard, Napoletano
    You have to consider that there is even the so called "meaning switching" that is a word can change his meaning during the time: for example the Indo-European root *bagh gives fagus in Latin (beech tree), but in Ancient Greek phegos is fir tree.

To come back to the onions, I don't know if onions are actually from Asia because in Latin both onio and cipulla mean onion and those two word gave ognion (French) onion (English) versus Cipolla (Italian) and all the others; you should check your information about the Asia and the onions.

Last edited by a moderator:

kelt

Czech Republic, Czech
    Hello: It cames from Latin, I'm afraid.
    Cebolla,1227. Del lat. "cepulla", diminutivo de "cepa"(=cebolla).
    From Joan Corominas, Breve Diccionario Etimológico de la Lengua Castellana. Saludos.

It's cibule in Czech and Zwiebel in German. I wonder why such a crop made it from Latin.

< Previous | Next >