Cecilia's friend (article the)

yolis123

Mexican Spanish
Hi everyone!

Today I have written a sentence and I had a doubt, well, first the sentence: Who is the Cecilia´s friend? and I asked myself if is correct omit the article "the" and write:
Who is Cecilia´s friend?

I´ll thank your help

• wolfram_beta

English - American
    You do not want to include a definite article ("the") in your sentence. It should be: Who is Cecilia's friend?

In fact, you would rarely, if ever, use an article (definite or indefinite) in front of a person's name. Adding the definite article would be the same as saying, "Quién es la amiga de la Cecilia?" in Spanish.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hola.

I'm afraid it's not a matter of putting an article before a proper noun: I suspect Yolis was tempted to put THE as the determiner of friend. Thus:

"Who's THE Cecilia's FRIEND?"

The above is a common mistake also among Italian learners of English.

GS :)

PS: In Northern Italy a sentence like "Quién es la amiga de la Cecilia?" is the norm: "Chi è l'amica della Cecilia?" (but "Chi è l'amica di Ø Paolo?".
    In Milan they go all the way and say "Chi è l'amica deL Paolo?".

Last edited:

levmac

British English
    You do not want to include a definite article ("the") in your sentence. It should be: Who is Cecilia's friend?

In fact, you would rarely, if ever, use an article (definite or indefinite) in front of a person's name. Adding the definite article would be the same as saying, "Quién es la amiga de la Cecilia?" in Spanish.
    The only time you can put the before a person's name is when you make the person into an adjective.

The Atkin's Diet.

The Tom Cruise Effect.

Here we have a possessive. You can never say, "The Cecilia's" in any situation.

There are other ways you can put the "friend" first in the sentence, if that's what you want.

"Who's that friend of Cecilia's?" (i.e. ahí)

"Who's that guy/girl Cecilia is with?" (i.e. ahí)

"Who is this friend of Cecilia's?" (con connotación de que "de quien he oído tanto hablar)

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo, Lev. :)

"The only time you can put the before a person's name is when you make the person into an adjective."

What about "I'm not talking about the Mortimer upstairs, as you should know only too well. I'm referring to the Mortimer who lives next door to Morticia."

GS :)

< Previous | Next >