cela dit / en même temps

beri

France
"Ca m'étonnerait que ce mot existe. Je ne connais pas grand-chose en allemand, cela dit / En même temps, je ne connais pas grand-chose en allemand."

"C'est une opération risquée. Cela dit, elle pourrait être très bénéfique"

How would you say all this ?
Thanks!

• Aupick

UK, English
    Quite literally: that said / at the same time.

'I would surprise me if the word exists. I don't know much German, but that said /at the same time, I don't know much German.

'It's a risky operation. That said, it could be very advantageous.

Aupick

UK, English
    Ooohh, this is getting tricky!

I'd say that 'that said' and 'at the same time' are used to introduce a caveat, a contradictory idea, one that goes in the opposite direction and flips the intent of the original sentence ('It's a risky operation' suggests resistance to the idea; 'that said, it could be very advantageous' suggests the speaker now supports the idea).

'With that in mind' acts as a bridge between an argument and a conclusion (or plan of action). (Eg: 'I don't understand Danish and I've never been to Denmark. With that in mind, I've decided not to accept your job offer as a tour guide in Copenhagen.') What follows is not usually an opposition, but a logical conclusion. (I think... :) )

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Aupick said:
    I'd say that 'that said' and 'at the same time' are used to introduce a caveat, a contradictory idea, one that goes in the opposite direction and flips the intent of the original sentence.
    Great explanation. :)

cela dit/en même temps could also be translated as "having said that" meaning "but" or "however": I'd be surprised to learn it was a real word. Having said that,/However,/But I don't know much German.

< Previous | Next >