cela ne signifie pas pour autant qu’elle est exclusive

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by BrightonNative, Mar 15, 2019 at 8:51 PM.

1. Hello / bonsoir,
    I was wondering whether to use the word exclusive in English to translate "exclusive" in French here in, "cela ne signifie pas pour autant qu’elle est exclusive." My guess is that it means something like: "this, however, does not mean that it is an exclusive / the only choice" - I've added the word choice in English as I feel it makes the sentence clear but is that what it means in French?! Thanks for your thoughts!

Context: Concernant la texture vocale et instrumentale, l’édition de 1610 laisse entendre qu’une exécution solistique est envisageable, voire préconisée ; cela ne signifie pas pour autant qu’elle est exclusive, à en croire les effectifs vocaux 3 à 4 fois plus importants que les 8 voix requises.

2. misterk Moderator

Boston, MA, USA
    English-American
    ....does not mean that it excludes other options/possibilities,...
    ....does not mean that there are not other options/possibilities,...

3. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French from France
    Or, ... that it is the sole possible way...

4. Hello, misterk and Michel! Thanks very much for your replies. That's helped me a lot because I was thinking that there was a more natural way of saying it in English. This writer seems to like the word exclusive because he's just used it again in a similar fashion, "Sans être un choix exclusif, les antiennes précèdent - comme le veut la liturgie - les psaumes..." With your suggestions, I think I now can say that he means, Without it being the only possible option / choice.