cela te laisse la journée libre

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by kastor76, May 15, 2015.

1. kastor76 Member

Perth
    French
    Bonjour tout le monde, comment traduiriez vous :

"Je garde les enfants aujourd'hui, comme ça cela te laisse la journée libre"

ma proposition :

"I'm looking after the children today, then it gives you your day"

ou encore dans :

"je finis plus tôt aujourd'hui au boulot, donc j'ai du temps libre"

"I'm finishing early today, so that gives me free time"

Merci d'avance ;)
    Pierre.

2. Verliss Member

English - Australian
    Bonjour kastor,

"...it gives you your day" is definitely wrong. Most people would have great difficulty figuring out what you meant.

I'd suggest "I'm looking after the kids today, so that should leave your day free/so that should free up your day."

Your second translation is grammatically correct but sounds just a little bit unnatural.

I'd say "I'm finishing early today, so that will give me some free time" or even better "....so I'll have some free time/so I'll have some free time later."

3. kastor76 Member

Perth
    French
    thank you for your reply ;)

I was a bit stuck with the notion of 'having time' as it is often translated by 'give time' isn't it ?

4. Verliss Member

English - Australian
    If I understand your question correctly, I would say that both "give" and "have" are used when talking about time.

For example, I could say "I'll pick up a bottle of wine after I drop the kids off at school, that will give me time to call Bill." (Okay, I'm not very imaginative when it comes to examples.) If the efficiency with which I complete my tasks gives me time, then it also implies that I now have time. Eg "It's okay, I took care of that earlier. I've got time to chat with Bill now."

5. kastor76 Member

Perth
    French
    haha nah your exemple is fine :)

Ok I got it anyway, it was a bit tricky at first because in french, we'd say "laisser du temps", 'leave time'..which doesn't make sense in english....
    Thank you for your help anyway, have a good one.

6. Verliss Member

English - Australian
    You can use "leave" in English too. Eg to a child, "Okay, go and play now, but make sure you leave some time to do your homework." Or "If we get this done by Tuesday evening, that will leave time to get to the airport." This is probably differs from the way "laisser" is used though.

7. kastor76 Member

Perth
    French
    Ok, so basically leave and give are interchangeable ? Or do you see an example where they could not

8. Verliss Member

English - Australian
    To my ear it sounds like there is a difference, but when forced to think about it I have to conclude that they are largely interchangeable. One difference I can report, however, is when requesting time from somebody. Eg If someone is rushing you, particularly with a delicate task, you can say "Okay, okay, give me time!" You would certainly not say "leave me time" here. All in all, I would feel more comfortable recommending "give" rather than "leave," even if "leave" sounds maybe just a smidgeon more sophisticated in some situations.

9. kastor76 Member

Perth
    French
    ok cool, that's what I thought too, regarding the "request time from someone". Thanks a lot for your help on this topic Verliss !! Cheers from Perth ;)