celebrate contract

Andrew1980

Hi,

I am translating a text concerning the estimated resources for the road construction of one big project in Ukraine and encountered the expression of "to celebrate a contract". Does it have a customary meaning of "to conclude a contract", I wonder or it is some kind of mistake here?

The context:

The definition of the contract document to be celebrated with the suppliers must be elaborated by the legal department, which, with guidelines of the project management, will establish the parameters for definition of the clauses that will govern the contract.

Thank you

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Wo wrote this? I suspect a mistranslation. It doesn't sound like anything English I've ever read (though it looks a little like some French: elaborate instead of draw up, management instead of manager, definition of instead of defining).

First you draw up, draft, write a contract (alone or with the supplier).
    Then you sign, conclude, enter into the contract (= both of you agree to it).
    Afterwards you may well celebrate it (e.g. open a bottle of champagne) but it's not the right word in this context.

Andrew1980

It was actually given by translation agency to me, and I do not know the customer (must be from EU)
    OK, that's what I thought that this text was not written by the native English, and therefore, I will pay attention to this issue, thank you

< Previous | Next >