Celebrate the anniversary next year together with Croatia

Discussion in 'English Only' started by dreamlike, May 1, 2013.

1. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hi everyone,

Today's the 9th anniversary of Poland's membership in the European Union and our president delivered a speech to mark this occasion.
    There was an interpreter who was interpreting it for foreign guests, and she produced such a sentence:

I want to tell you that we will be especially happy that we will be able to celebrate the anniversary next year together with Croatia that is going to be a full-fledged member of the European Union.

The part in bold strikes me as a calque from Polish. I'm not used to seeing 'together with' in verb phrases. Does that sound fine you? It surely does not sound fine to me, but then again I tend to pick on people and the way they speak too much.

2. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    "Together with" is fine; it's just not exactly true. ;) Croatia will not be celebrating its first anniversary until July 1, 2014 which will be three months after Poland's anniversary next year.

3. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    Yes.

GF..

4. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Thank you both for your answers. :thumbsup: Technically, you're right, Myridon.. maybe they thought that a period of three months is negligible. :D

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  5. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    They will be celebrating together with Croatia because by then Croatia will be a member of the EU, and thus part of the celebration.

6. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    I read the original sentence to mean Poland's anniversary will be celebrated together with Croatia's anniversary.
    It would need quite a bit of proofreading (which is not allowed) to make it completely clear either way.

7. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Strictly speaking, they won't, because the 10th anniversary of Poland's accession to the European Union will take place this time next year, whereas Croatia won't be a member state until the first of July, 2014. Having said that, I can see what the president and his interpreter meant. :) Anyway, I was only concerned with 'together with'.

No need for that. After all, it wasn't I who produced this sentence, and I can see the obvious flaws. :)

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  8. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    My reply was based on Myridon's statement that "Croatia will not be celebrating its first anniversary until July 1, 2014."