celebrate their happy lives?

brian&me

Chinese - China
Hi, everyone.

The following is from an English textbook for junior high school students in China, co-edited by DC Canada Education Publishing and Heibei Education Press.

The Mid-Autumn Festival is a traditional festival in China. ... In the evening, grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and cousins get together. They celebrate their happy lives with good food, drinks, and moon cakes.

I wonder if the use of ‘celebrate their happy lives’ is idiomatic. I couldn’t find such collocation in my dictionaries.

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    It's not a collocation, but just words that mean something in the context. You could say "They celebrate their blessings" or "They celebrate their good fortune" or "The celebrate the occasion" or simply "They celebrate with good food, drinks and mooncakes."

In Hong Kong, "mooncakes" is one word. Mid-Autumn Festival is the nicest festival of the year, and in my experience, people are very happy at this time.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks, Copyright.
    Mid-Autumn Festival is really one of the most important festivals in China.

I wonder if 'celebrate' in the OP means 'praise'.

Copyright

American English
    No, no praising.

WordReference Random House Dictionary: celebrate: n.1. to show that (a day) is special by having ceremonies, parties, or other festivities: [~ + object]to celebrate Christmas.[no object]We decided not to celebrate too much this year.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks for you reply, Copyright.

But I really don't understand ‘celebrate their happy lives’. Could you paraphrase that for me?

Copyright

American English
    We can celebrate anything: a new job, winning the lottery, a new grandchild, a new car, a new home, painting the old home, graduating, having a story accepted by a magazine ... or the happy life you have with all of your relatives.

We celebrate with a toast, with a dinner, with a party, etc.

< Previous | Next >