celebrate

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
Hello everyone:

I had a hard time to understand "celebrate" in the following sentence.

With Richard as lead author, Psychology and Life has been able to keep pace with rapid changes in psychology, particular in area such as cognitive and affective neuroscience. Even so, Psychology and Life remains a collaboration of like minds: together, we celebrate both an ongoing tradition and a continued vision of bringing the most important psychological insights to bear on your students’ lives.

Here, what does the author celebrate?
Does it mean the way how the text is organized? a mix of "scientific approaches and accomplishments currently achieved" and "latest insights and new adventures"?

The source is from the preface of the book Psychology and Life(18th Edition) by Richard J.Gerrig Philip G.Zimbardo.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  • Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Did you try checking a dictionary? Here's what the WR dictionary says:

celebrate /ˈsɛlɪˌbreɪt/ vb
    • to rejoice in or have special festivities to mark (a happy day, event, etc)
    • (transitive) to observe (a birthday, anniversary, etc)
    • (transitive) to perform (a solemn or religious ceremony), esp to officiate at (Mass)
    • (transitive) to praise publicly; proclaim

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
    Thanks for your answer.

I have checked it up in dictionary several times, failed to figuring out which one is more appropriate.

According to your suggestion, is the "(transitive) to praise publicly; proclaim" best one?

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
    To bennymix: Thanks.

I feel like the author is trying to say "It is an honor, happiness and great accomplishment to compose such a text book which will bear on students' lives".

To Miss Julie:
    What is your idea?

< Previous | Next >