celebrate

Enno

Chinese - Mainland China
"It is not that pink is intrinsically bad, but it is such a tiny slice of the rainbow and, though it may celebrate girlhood in one way, it also repeatedly and firmly fuses girls’ identity to appearance."

Hello all, I'd like to know what CELEBRATE means in the sentence above. Thank you!

• reno33

English - USA
    I don't think the word "celebrate" in your sentence above has any special significance beyond what it usually means = to praise or laud or have a party for, observe or honor someone or something for some action or characteristic and so on.

In your sentence, it means that the color pink "honors" or "praises" girlhood. That's all it means - no more and no less. (Are you sure you understand what the rest of the sentence means? The sentence that begins with "...it also repeatedly......"???

Enno

Chinese - Mainland China
    Thank you Thomas, reno33 and velisarius! My understanding of the sentence is that pink has become a colour bound up with girls' identity, which, it seems, is bad according to the author. But I really didn't get how a colour can "praise or honor" (as CELEBRATE usually means) girlhood (which is a period of time) so I got stuck there, wondering it means something else.
    I suppose what the writer meant was that when a girl wears pink (or is dressed in pink by her parents) she is signalling to the world "Yay! I'm a girl!:thumbsup:"
    Now it makes a lot more sense to me. Thank you so much!

< Previous | Next >