Celtic art <traced> lines of energy

< Previous | Next >

newname

Vietnamese
Hello all,

Here is the text.

It (Celtic art) was an art of vision, penetrating beyond the appearances of things. It traced living lines of energy and purpose with spirals and swastikas, curves and circles, whirling together in an intricate network of shapes and patterns.
I think 'described' the best meaning in this context.

Thank you very much.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In your example, to trace = to depict by use of a line that is drawn; to follow a course or path [of something] by means of a line.

"He traced a line in the sand showing the route we would take."

newname

Vietnamese
    In your example, to trace = to depict by use of a line that is drawn; to follow a course or path [of something] by means of a line. "He traced a line in the sand showing the route we would take."
    Thank you a lot. But I think 'living lines of energy and purpose' aren't something real, so how can you depict them using lines? So I think trace has a different meaning to draw here.

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    Thank you a lot. But I think 'living lines of energy and purpose' aren't something real, so how can you depict them using lines? So I think trace has a different meaning to draw here.
    Could you name the source of your text?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I did not say trace = draw, I wrote:
    In your example, to trace = to depict by use of a line that is drawn; to follow a course or path [of something] by means of a line.

"He traced a line in the sand showing the route we would take."
    Let me give you another example: "A timeline traces historical events so that you can see what happened when and to whom." Here is a picture of a timeline: http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelArticles/Images/timeline/Timeline-for-Benjamin-Franklin.gif

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Hi newname,

The thread title was changed by a moderator from "What is the best meaning of 'trace'?", in order to make the thread more useful to others - but also to give some idea of what the question is really about.

You must always include your title phrase and question in your first post.

newname

Vietnamese
    Just to be clear: in no way did I change the thread title. I wouldn't say 'described' was the best alternative in this context; I'd prefer 'outlined'.
    I am very sorry Thomas. I thought you were a moderator. And thank you all for your help.

< Previous | Next >