Center or central?

< Previous | Next >

Peter Tran

" in the center of VietNam" or " in the central of VietNam".
What should I use if i wanna refer to the middle of VietNam in the area? It still makes me get a little bit confused in this context.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Center" is a noun that describes the middle of something.

"Central" is an adjective. You cannot talk about "the central of Vietnam." You can talk about the central part of Vietnam, or the central region of Vietnam, but if you want to use an adjective, you must give it a noun such as "part" or "region."

Also, there is no such word as "wanna" in English. "Wanna" is an attempt to mimic, in writing, the way "want to" sounds when someone says it quickly and carelessly. Do not get into the habit of using it in writing.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I gather than Vietnam has traditionally been divided into three regions Northern Vietnam, Central Vietnam and Southern Vietnam. If it's the region you want to refer to, then I suppose Central Vietnam is the term to use. You can say in the centre of Vietnam​ but that is a vaguer term.

Peter Tran

I gather than Vietnam has traditionally been divided into three regions Northern Vietnam, Central Vietnam and Southern Vietnam. If it's the region you want to refer to, then I suppose Central Vietnam is the term to use. You can say in the centre of Vietnam​ but that is a vaguer term.
    Yeah. Thanks, and how about "in the middle of VietNam" and " in the center of VietNam", Mr Natkretep?

Copyright

American English
    For example
    I was born in the middle of VietNam/ in the center of VietNam? is that correct?
    Yes, they're both correct as long as you want to just make a general statement. (Keep in mind that Vietnam is a long, skinny country, so the middle or center is not so obvious to me as the middle of America, for instance.)

I would use middle rather than center -- middle has a broader, less-well-defined quality to it than center, which more often describes a point or at least a smaller area.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I agree with Copyright. Peter, is there a reason you don't want to say Central Vietnam?

< Previous | Next >