central computer

< Previous | Next >

minhduc

vietnamese
Hello
This is an extract from Rain Fall by Barry Eisler.

He turned and faced me, and I could see the confusion in his expression. Benny had said I'd been spotted at the station. I was coming from the other direction. He was trying to clear the disparity with the central computer.

I would like to know if "central computer" is a metaphor? Or does it have another meaning? Help me please. Thanks in advance.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    It probably means exactly what it says: there is a computer with information about where the speaker was. That information is not consistent with where the speaker was seen at the station. Benny is trying to change the data in the computer to clear that disparity, to remove the conflict between the two pieces of information.

minhduc

vietnamese
    The context is: The speaker was being chased after by two men. He killed one man named Benny and now he is tring to kill the other. Before having killed Benny, the speaker had forced Benny to tell his friend through telephone call that the speaker is at the station (In fact he is not). So that when Benny's friend saw the speaker in an alley, he was rather surprised. The author doesn't mention any computer here. :(

pwmeek

English - American
    "He" is trying to resolve the confusion between what he has been told by Benny and the evidence of his own eyes. John Rain is describing this in computer terms, but is just talking about his ("he's") mind. The time it takes for him to resolve this in his mind may be a fatal delay.

A very elaborate way to describe a "double take". "He did a double take when he saw me coming from an unexpected direction."

< Previous | Next >