central north

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kacy.H, Jan 14, 2018 at 7:17 AM.

1. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    Hello, everyone

Which one is correct?

The road in the central north town will be pedestrianized.
    The road in the central north part of the town will be pedestrianized.

The picture is here The maps below show the centre of a small town called Islip as it is now, and plans for its development.Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

I am describing "main road" to "pedestrian only".

I googled and found many write: Central North Island; Central North California. So I guess I should say "central north town" as well.

Many many thanks.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    A few things first:

1. The main road that will be pedestrianized appears to be in the upper middle of the map, not what I would consider "north."
    2. For the purposes of your summary, I'm not sure that you need any compass points at all – a main road is a main road, no matter how it runs or where.
    3. There are a lot of mistakes in this essay.

I might say that "The town's main road will be pedestrianized."

3. Kacy.H

Kacy.H Senior Member

China
    Chinese
    The essay on the link was not written by me.

For the sake of learning the use of "central north", could you tell me it is "central north part of the town" or "central north town" ? I really want to know this.

Thanks

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    "The north part of town" is what I would say – figuring the "north" would be from the center of town. Or the "north of the center of town."

But if I had to use "central north," I would say "central north part of town" – not "central north town."

I know the essay was not written by you – I was only warning you about its correctness.