centralina di rilevamento

GavinW

British English
Hi. This word already appears in 1 or 2 old threads, but here the sense is radically different.
Here's the context:

Insomma, il governatore ha fatto proprie le preoccupazioni dei cittadini che temono gli effetti sulla salute per l'alta concentrazione di campi elettromagnetici. «Preoccupazioni legittime — dice il sindaco di Niscemi — già oggi nel nostro comprensorio ricadono ben 41 antenne di trasmissioni della vicina base di Sigonella. Di recente l'Arpa ha installato centraline per il rilevamento dell'inquinamento elettromagnetico e almeno due di queste segnalano livelli vicini limiti di guardia. A questo ora vogliono aggiungere il MUOS». Nella lettera a Berlusconi anche Lombardo si dice «preoccupato per la salute della popolazione.

(The "ARPA" is the Regional Environmental Protection Agency.)

I get the picture of those mobile pollution detection vans for smog etc you see in towns and cities over here sometimes. But does this kind of centralina have to be mobile? Or permanent/temporary? Is it always to detect some form of pollution?
Anyone got any good ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • tinauser

italian, italy
    Not really. Actually I think they are normally fixed (not mobile and permanent) sensory-station, that records parameters and then send data to a central station for the analysis. The verb "installare" itself conveys the idea of something that does not move.

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    But does this kind of centralina have to be mobile? Direi proprio di no

Is it always to detect some form of pollution? Direi di no, potrebbe anche rilevare pollini, ozono, anidride carbonica, qualsiasi sostanza presente nell'aria, anche non inquinante

Anyone got any good ideas? Riguardo a cosa?

GavinW

British English
    Some useful feedback. Thanks. Weather stations? Interesting, but not applicable here, since this centralina is monitoring the environment.
    I think I'll leave it vague and say "monitoring station". If I had to be more specific I might also say "environmental monitoring station". That's a description rather than a translation, perhaps, but it probably works. Thanks to all.

MatteoViganotti

Italian
    In the context mentioned above it would be translated as electromagnetic pollution monitoring station. As the purpose is that of monitoring the pollution level.
    Literally it would be translated as electromagnetic pollution metering device. Which would not be wrong but, strictly speaking, this would imply that the data is not stored (in English AND Italian).
    There do exist mobile versions but the term would have been "centraline mobili di rilevamento". This is usually used to indicate the vans you mentioned, GavinW.