centre d’accueil et d’ouvertures

Avignonaddict

English - British
Hi

Can anyone suggest / confirm a translation for this phrase? It's from a tourist leaflet talking about facilities for people with disabilities. The full sentence is:

"XXX a donné l’exemple de construction de centre d’accueil et d’ouvertures vers toutes les formes de handicaps moteurs et sensoriels depuis 1975."

my current effort:

"XXX set an example by building a welcome centre which has been open to people with motor and sensory disabilities since 1975"

but I can't work out if it is a 'reception and access centre' (or other, better, expression), or if the centre simply has doors wide enough for wheelchair access.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• livvie

Gibraltar, English
    Hello,

I understand it to be referring to the centre/building as a whole, not just the reception centre and that all 'openings' were adapted.

auntie-mae

English - UK
    ...has given us as early as 1975 a model of a building / reception centre able to accommodate any form of physical or mental handicap.

Avignonaddict

English - British
    auntie mae - thank you, that's sounds just right.

I've changed it slightly to reflect heightened sensitivity to language, thus :

As long ago as 1975 XXX gave us a model for a reception centre able to accommodate people with any form of physical or mental disability.

Thanks also to livvie.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >