centre d’accueil et d’ouvertures

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Avignonaddict, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Avignonaddict Senior Member

France
    English - British
    Hi

Can anyone suggest / confirm a translation for this phrase? It's from a tourist leaflet talking about facilities for people with disabilities. The full sentence is:

"XXX a donné l’exemple de construction de centre d’accueil et d’ouvertures vers toutes les formes de handicaps moteurs et sensoriels depuis 1975."

my current effort:

"XXX set an example by building a welcome centre which has been open to people with motor and sensory disabilities since 1975"

but I can't work out if it is a 'reception and access centre' (or other, better, expression), or if the centre simply has doors wide enough for wheelchair access.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. livvie Senior Member

Bretagne
    Gibraltar, English
    Hello,

I understand it to be referring to the centre/building as a whole, not just the reception centre and that all 'openings' were adapted.

3. auntie-mae Member

English - UK
    ...has given us as early as 1975 a model of a building / reception centre able to accommodate any form of physical or mental handicap.

4. Avignonaddict Senior Member

France
    English - British
    auntie mae - thank you, that's sounds just right.

I've changed it slightly to reflect heightened sensitivity to language, thus :

As long ago as 1975 XXX gave us a model for a reception centre able to accommodate people with any form of physical or mental disability.

Thanks also to livvie.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010