UK English
Morning!

Could somebody please enlighten me to the english equivalent of

Centres d'usinage horizontaux vs.

Centres d'usinage verticaux?

Many thanks

• Kelly B

USA English
    There are two possibilities, though I assume Gil's is right, and the reference from Agnes indicates the same thing.
    A horizontal or vertical machining center in Gil's link refers to the orientation of the spindle of a milling machine setup (a machine tool for cutting metal shapes). A factory or machine shop may have a large number of these in varying types.
    On the other hand, horizontal or vertical manufacturing center refers to the organization of work within a factory. I forget what the difference is.:eek:

Gil

Français, Canada
    Kelly B said:
    There are two possibilities, though I assume Gil's is right, and the reference from Agnes indicates the same thing.
    A horizontal or vertical machining center in Gil's link refers to the orientation of the spindle of a milling machine setup (a machine tool for cutting metal shapes). A factory or machine shop may have a large number of these in varying types.
    On the other hand, horizontal or vertical manufacturing center refers to the organization of work within a factory. I forget what the difference is.:eek:
    Although related to "usine", "usinage" is a faux-ami that has little to do with manufacturing...
    USINAGE, subst. masc.
    Action d'usiner, façonnage d'une pièce brute pour l'amener à sa forme définitive.....
    http://atilf.atilf.fr/Dendien/scripts/tlfiv5/advanced.exe?8;s=1520773335;

< Previous | Next >