centro de acogida (de enfermos de VIH)

< Previous | Next >

EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
Hola de nuevo...
¿Alguna idea para la traducción de "centro de acogida"? :confused:
Es una institución que ayuda (y acoge) a enfermos de VIH.
Saluditos.
EVA.

• EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    Thank you, Vesna and Masood!
    Those are the words I was looking for!
    You have rescued me once again!
    Kind regards,
    EVA.

cirrus

UK English
    There's a centre in SW England for people living with HIV which is called The Sanctuary. The word sanctuary has a bit of religious overtone to it.

Centro de acogida could be much wider than just somewhere for people living with AIDS. Is not the word used as a reception centre for example for refugees?

EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    cirrus said:
    There's a centre in SW England for people living with HIV which is called The Sanctuary. The word sanctuary has a bit of religious overtone to it.

Centro de acogida could be much wider than just somewhere for people living with AIDS. Is not the word used as a reception centre for example for refugees?
    Yes, probably the phrase is used in a wider sense; in my specific translation, it means a place where people with HIV live and are taken care of.

Thank you for your contribution, Cirrus. :)

Cheers!

EVA.

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    EVAVIGIL said:
    Yes, probably the phrase is used in a wider sense; in my specific translation, it means a place where people with HIV live and are taken care of.
    And are these people with HIV so sick that they have to "be taken care of" like your phrase says????
    Then maybe they're residing at a hospice (the term we use for a place that provides comprehensive or even round-the-clock care to advanced or end-stage patients).

Saludos,
    LN

EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    lauranazario said:
    And are these people with HIV so sick that they have to "be taken care of" like your phrase says????
    Then maybe they're residing at a hospice (the term we use for a place that provides comprehensive or even round-the-clock care to advanced or end-stage patients).

Saludos,
    LN
    Yes, Laura, they are end-stage patients; otherwise they would be living at home, I suppose.
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    Cheers!
    EVA.

cirrus

UK English
    Now that combination therapy is more or less taken as a given, at least if you live in a country with a health system that can afford it, it really brings home the fact that this disease is still a killer, amazing drugs notwithstanding.

EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    cirrus said:
    Now that combination therapy is more or less taken as a given, at least if you live in a country with a health system that can afford it, it really brings home the fact that this disease is still a killer, amazing drugs notwithstanding.
    Unfortunately that is true, Cirrus. This particular project dealt with a drug for end-stage patients, where nothing else had worked (or had stopped working).
    Changing the subject, I understand you are recovering in hospital, Cirrus. Your stay has proved to be very fruitful for our forum! :thumbsup:
    Get well soon! :)
    Cheers!
    EVA.

PiketteInWordland

LA and Spain Spanish- UK English
    Rather than "end-stage", I think the expression used most often is "terminal" or "terminally ill"...
    just my 2 cents, although somewhat late.

mpettem

English - International
    A "centro de acogida" is not limited to persons with HIV. It is an instrument used by authorities for providing social protection to groups such as home-violence victims (usually women), minors, refugees... rather a broader concept. The translation is subject to nuances.

< Previous | Next >