centro di accoglienza

monica111

Italy Italian
Ciao!
Qualcuno puo' aiutarmi a tradurre in Inglese quanto segue?

"centro di accoglienza e reinserimento sociale per minori vittime di tratta"

Non vorrei tradurlo alla lettera per timore che ne venga fuori una espressione non politically correct

Grazie
m

• Serabianca

Australia, English
    Se il centro di accoglienza è per rifugiati e richiedenti asilo si potrebbe tradurre come "Shelter for refugees and asylum seekers" secondo voi?

grazie!

alenaro

Italian
    Hi learners of the web,

and how should Centro di prima accoglienza per immigrati e disagiati be translated into Italian? Grazie.

First Help Center for Immigrants & Poors/Diseased people (?)

Brambles

Ireland, english
    I think it would still just be 'Help Centre'. I wouldn't say 'First Help Centre' in English...

I would translate that as ' Help Centre for immigrants and the disadvantaged'...

Hope this helps!

london calling

UK English
    I would translate that as ' Help Centre for immigrants and the disadvantaged'...
    Hello! :)

I don't know if it's this, because this means the "camps" they set up for people when they come off the boats, say in Sicily, as a temporary measure.

Temporary Refugee Camp for immigrants and the disadvantaged (?).

I'm not at all sure about this, however...

alenaro

Italian
    London calling :) and Brambles thanks for being here helping me.

I am not considering the temporary camps like the ones you find either in Sicily or elesewhere. It is rather a stable structure where they can regularly stay for not longer than 21 days as far as they find both home and a job. There should be one in each big town and it is usually run by non-profit organisations. People who are accepted in are not dying people, they only have real social problems.

Help Center sounds right, but could I translate the word Prima?

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    Ale, I think "temporary" translates "prima" in this context.

I found this on homelessnation.org (Canada).
    Catholic Immigration Services provides temporary accomodations, food, clothing, information, counselling, orientation workshops, and translation services.

And this, from usdoj.gov:

Freedom House (Detroit, Michigan) - Freedom House is an interdenominational, nonprofit charity that provides food, clothing, shelter and legal services to people of all races and creeds. Freedom House works to legally resettle refugees into Canada or the United States, speak out against injustice and educate for systemic change. Freedom House is fully accredited by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Board of Immigration Appeals.

I have also come across many references to "temporary shelters" on the Internet: many refer to the homeless, battered wives, etc., but others give shelter to immigrants as well. Why don't you check it out?:)

alenaro

Italian
    So, eventually, what do you think of Temporary Shelter for Immigrants and the Disadvantaged?

I really thank you.

PS: corrections welcomed

london calling

UK English
    So, eventually,:cross:;) what do you think of Temporary Shelter for Immigrants and the Disadvantaged?
    Based upon what I read on the Internet, I think it's fine: did you have a look and see?:)

By the way, we don't use "eventually" like this in English: it means "prima o poi"! It is VERY difficult to translate...I suggest you open a thread about it (or see if someone else has already opened one!).:)

alenaro

Italian
    Based upon what I read on the Internet, I think it's fine: did you have a look and see?:)

By the way, we don't use "eventually" like this in English: it means "prima o poi"! It is VERY difficult to translate...I suggest you open a thread about it (or see if someone else has already opened one!).:)
    Hi Oz Girl, I thank you about quoting my wrong use of eventually. I must admit I never use it and what's more, believe it or not, I've lately found out it has the same meaning of finally or at last. Now you tell me it actually has a different meaning. I don't know...
    I've been thinking for a long time, without really using it, that eventually meant maybe or in case.

Whereas about the reason why we are here, I haven't checked any website. The fact is that this Centre where I work has a precise name and I jut wanted to translate it.

cheers & kisses

london calling

UK English
    Hi Oz Girl, Oz? I was only there for a few years as a kid....I'm a pommy, really! :DI thank you about quoting my wrong use of eventually. I must admit I never use it and what's more, believe it or not, I've lately found out it has the same meaning of finally or at last. It can mean that as well! Now you tell me it actually has a different meaning. I don't know...Open a thread!:)
    I've been thinking for a long time, without really using it, that eventually meant maybe or in case. That as well..now you know why I said it's difficult to translate!

Whereas about the reason why we are here, I haven't checked any website. The fact is that this Centre where I work has a precise name and I jut wanted to translate it. OK!

cheers & kisses No problem!:)
    Temporary shelter, then... and "buon lavoro"!:)

< Previous | Next >