CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers

PureLand

Chinese
"A recent review of pay scales indicates that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio in 1980." (from an exam paper)

Why is it CEO's rather than CEOs? I am very confused :confused: Thank you :)

• It was once standard practice to use an apostrophe to pluralise acronyms and initialisms. It's either an old exam paper or the setter has not yet caught up with the times.

Many people still cannot bring themselves to write Mind your ps and qs, Make a list of dos and don'ts and I got three As in my A-levels.

Last edited:

PureLand

Chinese
    It was once standard practice to use an apostrophe to pluralise acronyms and initialisms. It's either an old exam paper or the setter has not yet caught up with the times.

Many people still cannot bring themselves to write Mind your ps and qs or Make a list of dos and don'ts.
    Because the writer made a mistake. :eek:
    Got it! Thank you so much for your explanations, Rover_KE and Heypresto :D

Barque

Tamil
    I believe there's a view that an apostrophe can be used before an s signifying the plural if it helps read the word correctly. It could help with such terms as ps and qs but it isn't necessary with CEOs where the capital letters distinguish the actual word from the plural-s.

< Previous | Next >