ceramica da fuoco

Hi all,
once again I need some advice about the English text of my PhD thesis (that I had to translate before publishing). Now the problem is the title, that in italian was:

“La ceramica da fuoco come osservatorio privilegiato di flussi e relazioni socio-economiche e culturali tra i popoli del Levante tra il Bronzo Tardo e l’Età del Ferro (XIV-VII secolo a.C.).
Origine, diffusione e sviluppo tipologico e funzionale della ceramica da cucina nei repertori ceramici siro-palestinesi e ciprioti”.

My attempt is:

“Cooking pots as a key informant of socio-economic and cultural relations between Levantine peoples in Late Bronze and Iron Ages (14th -7th centuries BC).
Origins, diffusion and technological and typological development of cooking pots in Levantine and Cypriote assemblages”.

How to interpret “osservatorio privilegiato”?
Does the structure of the sentence meet the English/American idea or scheme of a title for a book?

Thank you in advance
Feffa

Last edited by a moderator:
  • GavinW

British English
    “La ceramica da fuoco come osservatorio privilegiato di flussi e relazioni socio-economiche e culturali tra i popoli del Levante tra il Bronzo Tardo e l’Età del Ferro (XIV-VII secolo a.C.).
    Origine, diffusione e sviluppo tipologico e funzionale della ceramica da cucina nei repertori ceramici siro-palestinesi e ciprioti”.

My attempt is:

“Cooking pots as a key informant of socio-economic and cultural relations between Levantine peoples in Late Bronze and Iron Ages (14th -7th centuries BC).
    Origins, diffusion and technological and typological development of cooking pots in Levantine and Cypriote assemblages”.

"Cooking ware as an indicator of socio-economic and cultural relations between Levantine peoples in Late Bronze and Iron Ages... (etc)". The rest of the title is fine, but I would say "cooking ware", since "cooking pots" is more used by the layman, not by archeologists ;-)
    Feffa
    Hmm, the title is a bit long, but of course you need all that information in the title... I would divide the title in two parts, as you have done (and as is normal for scholarly publications, of course), but I would also delete the time reference ("14th - 7th centuries BC") from the first part, and include it later, in the second part (the "sub-title"). This is OK, since you already have the "LBA/Iron Age" reference in the main (first) part of the title.

Also, small point, but surely "repertorio" is different from "assemblage"? The "repertoire" is the range of pottery vessels and wares in use at the time, for those purposes (ie it's a term an anthropologist would be comfortable with, too), while "assemblages" is the archeologist's term for a set of pottery remains found together, in an individual context, or type of context. It's a question of "before" and "after", no?
    HTH

EDIT: to make it even shorter, for a book, you would probably have to delete stuff like "socio-economic and cultural", and just keep "relations". If you find this advice helpful and want more, feel free to ask. ;-)

Thank you GavinW!
    So:

Cooking ware as an indicator of cultural relations between Levantine peoples in Late Bronze and Iron Ages.
    Origins, diffusion and technological and typological development of cooking pots in Levantine and Cypriote repertoires (14th-7th centuries BC)

I can change the first cooking pot with cooking ware but, for a docta varietas, I would keep it in the subtitle!
    “Repertoires” is more appropriated than “assemblage”, and your indications about the position of the time reference are absolutely right!
    If you have other remarks or advices don’t hesitate to tell me!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

GavinW

British English
    Looks fine to me.
    Just one thing: Cypriote is now considered old-fashioned, I believe. The more common modern spelling of the adjective is "Cypriot" (and I believe this is the spelling used these days by everyone, including archeologists!).

One other thing, do you mind if I ask the Mods to rename the thread? In the end, "osservatorio..." did not generate any kind of standard translation of the term, did it! ;-)

< Previous | Next >