cerf volant: etymology

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by PatrickMckenna, Apr 23, 2005.

1. PatrickMckenna New Member

US English
    Please--What is the origin of this phrase? Since I do not know French, my literal translation comes up--flying deer- or something to that effect. Just curious. Thank you ahead of time.

2. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    Cerf-volant is French for a kite. It's also the name for a stag beetle. As to the origin of the word, the etymology is uncertain. Some believe it comes from serpe volante « serpent volant » .

3. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
  4. PatrickMckenna New Member

US English
    thank you so much for your quick responses. Let's see if I got this right: serpent volant became serpe volant which became serpe-volant which became serpevolant which became cerfvolant which became cerf volant---an acoustical evolution and not one of meaning---wonderful! Do I have this right?

5. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Nearly,;) because the hyphen is compulsory here: un cerf-volant.:)

6. PatrickMckenna New Member

US English
    Thank you--I won't forget the hyphen---but the rest of it, the serpent-volant to serpe-volant to cerf-volant---is that supposedly how it evolved?

7. Ian Tenor Senior Member

English UK
    Justement - excusez-moi - une petite question ...

Les cerfs-volants, cerf-volants ou cerfs-volant ?

Merci bien -

Ian

8. dewsy Senior Member

Versailles
    England, english
    Cerfs-volants :)

9. Ian Tenor Senior Member

English UK
    Thank you, Dewsy.

Ian

10. StevoBaggins Member

English - USA
    Interesting..."Cerf-volant" literally means "flying buck (stag)"...so as someone else pointed out, that would explain the stag beetle, comparing its horns to a stag's antlers. I think it's fascinating that cerf-volant has a different etymology when it refers to a kite.