certificate/certification/testimonial/attestation

< Previous | Next >

snowflower

Mandarin/TW
Hi all,

certificate/certification/testimonial/attestation

When these words refer to a piece of paper of evidence, how are they actually used in real life and what's difference between them? I checked them in the dictionaries but are still not very clear. Could you share your ideas? It would be so kind of you if you can give example as to how you native speakers use them in your life.
Thanks so much in advance.:)

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It's up to you to provide the example sentence, snowflower. Please give us a sentence that uses one of the words, with context, and we'll be happy to help you decide whether you've chosen the most suitable one. If you don't want to write the sentence yourself, you can follow these directions for finding examples in context.

[I will say that I can't think of a situation in which I would use the word "attestation."]

snowflower

Mandarin/TW
    Florentia52, okay, thanks. Here are several sentences I wrote myself. Please help see if I use them correctly.

1. He lost his certificate of diploma and had to applied for it again.
    2. Mary's teacher wrote a testimonial for her when she was trying to find a job, which she thought was very helpful.
    3. Tom received a driving certification after he went through a period of training and passed the test.
    4. A copy of the attestation stating that you are the owner of the house, will be issued to you within two weeks.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The first 3 examples are good. Sentence 4 may be okay, but I've never seen the word "attestation" used. I have purchased houses, but there was no "attestation" involved. Instead I got an official "deed", and the purchase was recorded in the state registry. When you purchase a car, the document is called a "title".

Perhaps "attestations" are used in some countries, but I don't know where or how they are used.

< Previous | Next >