-certificate holders-

< Previous | Next >


Hello dear users :)

I am writing a report on ESOL examination system and I would like to refer to people who had already passed FCE, CAE or CPE exams as "certificate holders".

Is that a proper expression or is that totally out of the blue and there is another one which fits better?

Thank you in advance.
  • Parla

    Member Emeritus
    English - US
    That sounds right to me.

    Or, "certified ________" [name of occupation; I don't know what the various letters you've mentioned stand for].


    Thank you very much Parla:)

    These abbreviations stand for: FCE (First Certificate in English), CAE (Certificate in Advanced English), CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)


    Senior Member
    English (British)
    You could also use the expression [ successful candidates ], e.g.:

    We entered 86 students for the CAE, FCE and CPE examinations and all the successful candidates received certificates at the awards ceremony in December.

    In the specific context that you gave, I don't think that "certifed ... " would be appropriate. Usually it is used with a specific profession, eg:

    She is a certified teacher. ( = with recognized qualification as a teacher)


    New Member
    All good answers. Personally I would refer to them as "Certified First Certificate Holders" as it's more natural (or at least sounds more professional) than to simply say FCE. In terms of their abreviations there are several professional websites and books that use the "FCE" "CAE" moniker, like www.fcepass.com or multiple English books, but for reference I would always stuck to the full version!
    < Previous | Next >