certificate or certification?

< Previous | Next >

Cynthial

Chinese
Hi~ I'm a little confused by "certificate" &"certification", when they used as a noun, they can both refer to a document, right? Anyone knows their difference? Thank you.
In the sentence below
"Many products, such as diamonds or luxury handbags, already come with certificates of authenticity."
can I replace "certificates" with "certifications"?

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I'm a little confused by "certificate" &"certification", when they used as a noun, they can both refer to a document, right?
    A certificate is a document (though I suppose it can be verbal too). A certification is the act of certifying something.

"Many products, such as diamonds or luxury handbags, already come with certificates of authenticity."
    can I replace "certificates" with "certifications"?
    You could, but the meaning changes a bit. The original means they come with actual, physical certificates. With "certifications", it means they come with an assurance of authenticity; it doesn't say whether the certifications have been reduced to writing (certificates) or not.

certification - WordReference.com Dictionary of English

Cynthial

Chinese
    A certificate is a document (though I suppose it can be verbal too). A certification is the act of certifying something.

You could, but the meaning changes a bit. The original means they come with actual, physical certificates. With "certifications", it means they come with an assurance of authenticity; it doesn't say whether the certifications have been reduced to writing (certificates) or not.

certification - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    OK,thank you✨

< Previous | Next >