Certification of somebody of/ in a competence

< Previous | Next >

Justwantoknow

Russian (Ukraine)
Hello :)

There is a phrase "Certification of a competence"

But is it correct to say in the following way?
Cerification of John of a qualifying competence of CPR
or Certification of John of CPR

or it's better to say "Certification of John in CPR"?

Thank you in advance.

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi,

Yes, there are a variety of ways to handle that.
    "Competence" is a common word in the medical setting, and often is not needed.

You could say:
    Certification of John in CPR.
    Certifying John in CPR.
    Certifying John in CPR competence.
    Certifying John in the/his competence of CPR. (I really don't like this one, but you could find sentences like it in a hospital setting).

I bet if you gave us more context, we could do a better job.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    There is a phrase "Certification of a competence"

Cerification of John of a qualifying competence of CPR
    or Certification of John of CPR

or it's better to say "Certification of John in CPR"?
    I am not sure what you are asking. Is this a translation into English? Does John already have a certificate of competence in CPR, or does he need to get one? If you have a certificate it means you are qualified, so I don't think "qualifying competence" is necessary or usual. The word 'certification' is used a little differently from 'certificate'.
    Please put the phrase into a sentence or two for us to give you our best answer. :)

Mentioning "of John" looks strange too, but we can't advise until we have more information, context.

Hermione

Justwantoknow

Russian (Ukraine)
    This is a sentence from a certificate and yes, it is a translation into English :)

European certification of (Name) in the qualifying competence of "(the name of the competence)" is conducted by (the name of an institution).

Last edited:

EStjarn

Spanish
    Judging by the Google results below, I think not. With the context given, and taking into account TimLA's and Hermione's advice, I'd suggest:
    [Name of certificate holder]. CPR certification from [name of certifying institution].
    A version which is slightly closer to yours (post #4) but probably further from actual practice would be:
    [Name of certificate holder] with CPR certification from [name of certifying institution].
    ~ Here are the Google Web (GW) and Google Books (GB) figures for most of the phrases suggested thus far:
    Certification of * of a qualifying competence of CPR ..........GW 0 ...........GB 0
    Certification of * of CPR ..............................................GW 4 ...........GB 0
    Certification of * in CPR ..............................................GW 23 ..........GB 5
    Certifying * in CPR .....................................................GW 85 ..........GB 3
    Certifying * in CPR competence ....................................GW 0 ............GB 0
    Certifying * in the competence of CPR ...........................GW 0 ............GB 0
    certificate of competence in CPR ..................................GW 18 ..........GB 0
    CPR certificate ..........................................................GW 67,200 ....GB 263
    CPR certification ........................................................GW 430,000 ..GB 3,800
    CPR certification from .................................................GW 113,000 ..GB 16
    with CPR certification ..................................................GW 41,900 ....GB 20

Justwantoknow

Russian (Ukraine)
    Thank you for your reply, EStjarn
    Actually the sentence is:
    The certificate confirms the European certification of (somebody) in qualification of "__" from (name of certifying institution) acquried by the aforesaid person as a result of training.... (this is a translation into English)
    I find it difficult to use examples suggested to make this sentence correct. Could you help me please.

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Let's see what we can do:

This certificate confirms the European certification of John Smith in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation from the Rudolf Virchow Institute.
    (I'm not much for this one)

This certifies that John Smith has completed training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation at the Rudolf Virshow Institute of Berlin.

This certifies that John Smith has completed the required training and testing in cardiopulmonary resuscitation at the Rudof Virchow Institute of Berlin.

and on and on...

< Previous | Next >