certification program requires <me to take /my taking>

< Previous | Next >

ortak

Turkish
The certification program requires me to take several tests. :tick:

The certification program requires my taking several tests. :tick: but :confused:

Hello friends,
I am a bit surprised hearing the second sentence because of my taking part. I know the first one better than the second. Do you often use the second type of sentence ?? Both sentences are from this link.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    It's not "... requires me my taking ..." but "requires my taking" (no "me").
    Yes, this structure is quite common.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    ortak, are you looking for an explanation of "my taking"? In your sentence, "taking" is a gerund, a verb form that functions as a noun. Therefore, grammarians say it should be modified by a possessive form. It is common to see a personal pronoun like "me" instead of a possesive like "my" before a gerund, but the grammarians would consider that to be an error.

ortak

Turkish
    ortak, are you looking for an explanation of "my taking"? In your sentence, "taking" is a gerund, a verb form that functions as a noun. Therefore, grammarians say it should be modified by a possessive form. It is common to see a personal pronoun like "me" instead of a possesive like "my" before a gerund, but the grammarians would consider that to be an error.
    Yes, actually, it sounds me very odd. As I know the first one is better and more common that the second. I wondered what natives think.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I prefer the second [my taking], but to many people the possessive with the gerund sounds overly formal. They would probably prefer the first version with the infinitive [me to take].

< Previous | Next >