Certification program

< Previous | Next >

mrverns

Spanish - Chile
Hello everyone,

I can't understand what wikipedia says about 'certification program' and I've got problems understanding what procurement is.

Certification programs that allow organizations to ensure the correct level of security for their needs during procurement will be required.
Source: Gartner Reprint

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    A certification program is a program that certifies (ensures) that a person has a certain level of knowledge about something. Usually, a person who satisfies the requirements of the program gets a certificate as evidence. For example, I may pass a certification program in Microsoft Excel and receive a certificate that says I am competent in using that application.

Gartner says that, as part of the move toward smart buildings, organizations will need to have programs to certify that their people know how to manage the security issues that arise with smart buildings.

Separately, procurement is a fancy word for the process through which organizations buy things. It is also called purchasing.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Thanks for giving the source. The certification in OPs example is different from the most common meaning of the word. Here is the whole paragraph:

"Smart building components cannot be considered independently, but must be viewed as part of the larger organizational security process. Products must be built to offer acceptable levels of protection and hooks for integration into security monitoring and management systems. Certification programs that allow organizations to ensure the correct level of security for their needs during procurement will be required."

They are taking about components that are as part of a larger security system. These components will be created by many different companies. Other companies will buy the components, and use them to build security systems. This buying is called procurement. In a situation like this, there can be an unlimited number of problems caused by differences between the components made by different companies: they may not fit with each other, work with each other, or provide all things needed. But if a specification is created for what each component should be, then all components from all companies can go thru a certification program that tests that they match that spec. Once they match, they are certified components and can be safely bought and used to make the security system.

< Previous | Next >