certified + titles or certified: + enumeration

< Previous | Next >

disabram

Romanian
Hi all.

In a written presentation when you enumerate a professional's credentials (some of them), which variant is correct? (if any)
A) "- Certified Quality Management Systems External Auditor, Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems External Auditor, Quality Management Representative, Quality Management Systems Internal Auditor"
B) "- Certified: Quality Management Systems External Auditor, Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems External Auditor, Quality Management Representative, Quality Management Systems Internal Auditor"
C) " - Certified Quality Management Systems External Auditor, Certified Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems External Auditor, Certified Quality Management Representative, Certified Quality Management Systems Internal Auditor"

Thank you for considering my request.

• owlman5

English-US
    I doubt anybody will notice anything wrong with this string of noun phrases, Disabram, no matter how you present them. All look equally good to me. You'll have to decide for yourself whether you want to repeat "certified", but I see no harm in repeating it if that is important.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I wouldn't use the first version, because it seems to associate the certification only with the first credential. Either the second or third works for me. I'd probably use the third to avoid any confusion.

If this is in text, rather than as bullet points, you could also write "He/she is certified as a Quality Management Systems External Auditor, Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems External Auditor, Quality Management Representative, and a Quality Management Systems Internal Auditor."

sdgraham

USA English
    Following the practice employed by America's newspapers, I would not capitalize any of the items on that laundry list and would use semicolons between items to avoid confusion with the multiple "and" conjunctions.

And, of course, no comma or semicolon before the final item.

Therefore, none of the above would pass my red editing pen unscathed.

disabram

Romanian
    Thank you both, Egmont and Sdgraham. Your comments have been useful to me. (Sdgraham, I must admit I'm a bit puzzled, ... I'm trying to imagine ... using semicolons between items in a bullet points format and with no capital letters ... I'm lost .. you are highly sophisticated to (or for, I don't know which one to choose) me. Thank you so much anyway.

< Previous | Next >