certified/to be certified/was certified

< Previous | Next >

hellothere232

Japanese - Japan
Hi all,

I have a question about the difference among below sentences.

1. "ABC" is the only program certified by "DEF" for the first time
2. "ABC" is the only program to be certified by "DEF" for the first time
3. "ABC" is the only program that was certified by "DEF" for the first time

To be honest, they all sound same to me.. Could you tell me the difference?
Thank you for your help!

• Copyright

American English
    "the first time" doesn't make sense to me. What do you mean to say? It is this: "ABC was the first program to be certified by DEF"?

hellothere232

Japanese - Japan
    "the first time" doesn't make sense to me. What do you mean to say? It is this: "ABC was the first program to be certified by DEF"?
    The full sentence would go like this: "ABC" is the only program that was certified by "DEF" for the first time in the U.S.
    But I would like to know the difference among those sentences (certified/to be certified/that was certified)

Copyright

American English
    I'm sorry but that still doesn't make sense. Please let us know if you're trying to say this: "ABC was the first program to be certified in the U.S. by the DEF."

You can't generally use "first" and "only" together as you have. If it was the "first," then there are others, so it can't be "only."

hellothere232

Japanese - Japan
    I'm sorry but that still doesn't make sense. Please let us know if you're trying to say this: "ABC was the first program to be certified in the U.S. by the DEF."

You can't generally use "first" and "only" together as you have. If it was the "first," then there are others, so it can't be "only."
    Oh I see. I was trying to say that the ABC is the only program to be certified in the U.S. by the DEF, while the other programs were not certified (I guess I should leave out the "first")

Copyright

American English
    You're right ... so, repeating your own words: "ABC is the only program to be certified in the U.S. by the DEF."

hellothere232

Japanese - Japan
    You're right ... so, repeating your own words: "ABC is the only program to be certified in the U.S. by the DEF."
    Yes, so could you please explain the difference?
    1. "ABC" is the only program certified in the U.S. by the "DEF"
    2. "ABC" is the only program to be certified in the U.S. by the "DEF"
    3. "ABC" is the only program that was certified in the U.S. by the "DEF"

< Previous | Next >