certified to or certified by

< Previous | Next >
  • Copyright

American English
    In this case "to." You are achieving or adhering to a particular standard.

You would use "by" if you were talking about who set the standards. "This product is certified by the Armenian Electricians Association to Acme 10101."

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I don't think I would say either of these, but I may be wrong.

Could you please give use more context? Is this a label, or something else? What do you want it to mean?

Edit:
    I see that Copyright and I disagree.

For the meaning he seems to give it, I would say:
    "certified to meet the most ....."

On the other hand, I don't write copy, and "certified to the most ..." may be the standard way of saying it.

agustina bsas

Argentina - Spanish
    The thing is i've found both in the Internet:

"Their Approved Equipment Directory lists tanks that are certified to environmental standards OFS T100 and OFS T200."
    "The Group looks to use companies that have been certified to environmental standards, such as ISO 14001."

and

"The Academy Seminars will be certified by quality standards which guarantee an approved standard of academic discourse."
    "Our manufacturing plant is certified by Quality Standards ISO 9002."

Copyright

American English
    On the other hand, I don't write copy, and "certified to the most ..." may be the standard way of saying it.
    You're right about copywriting. I see this construction all the time -- whether on a label or caption or product description -- so I passed it on as a standard.

Copyright

American English
    The thing is i've found both in the Internet:

"Their Approved Equipment Directory lists tanks that are certified to environmental standards OFS T100 and OFS T200."
    "The Group looks to use companies that have been certified to environmental standards, such as ISO 14001."

and

"The Academy Seminars will be certified by quality standards which guarantee an approved standard of academic discourse."
    "Our manufacturing plant is certified by Quality Standards ISO 9002."
    Well, you're dealing with writers -- and they don't have to be certified to anything to write. :)

agustina bsas

Argentina - Spanish
    So the correct sentence would be "certified to (meet) the most important quality and environmental standards"?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think so.

I think you should follow Copyright's suggestion and leave out "meet". He knows more about the way this is usually done than I do.

Copyright

American English
    So the correct sentence would be "certified to (meet) the most important quality and environmental standards"?
    Well, in my opinion, yes. But do you have the entire expression?

If you don't want to reveal it, you can content yourself with having found both versions on the Internet... so picking "to" won't get you into too much trouble.

< Previous | Next >