C'est ce dont je manque

Guill

Français - France
Hi everyone,

I play horse-ball and would like to say that I'm quite good at every part of the game, except for shooting. In French, I'd say "La précision au tir, c'est ce dont je manque". I think I should use "lack of" and not "miss" in English, but I also wonder about the different ways of putting the preposition "of".

This is what I lack of.
This is what I miss ?
This is what of that I lack ?
This is of what I lack ? (I doubt this one is right)

Or are there other ways of saying it ?

• amg8989

USA
    English-United Sates
    what about using the idea of weakness?

'I'm quite good, except for shooting, which is my weakness'
    'Shooting is my only weakness'
    'Shooting is the only area where I fall short'
    'Precision at shooting, this is where I'm lacking'

(the last one doesn't sound as natural to me, I'd say weakness is the most familiar)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    what about using the idea of weakness?

'I'm quite good, except for shooting, which is my weakness'
    'Shooting is my only weakness'
    'Shooting is the only area where I fall short'
    'Precision at shooting, this is where I'm lacking'

(the last one doesn't sound as natural to me, I'd say weakness is the most familiar)
    I agree that the last one doesn't sound natural. The first three, while natural-sounding, miss the concept that it is specifically the accuracy (précision) of the shooting that is the problem. Presumably other aspects of shooting, such as rapidity, are fine.

So, I propose "I'm quite good, though my shooting could be more accurate."

amg8989

USA
    English-United Sates
    I agree that the last one doesn't sound natural. The first three, while natural-sounding, miss the concept that it is specifically the accuracy (précision) of the shooting that is the problem. Presumably other aspects of shooting, such as rapidity, are fine.

So, I propose "I'm quite good, though my shooting could be more accurate."
    I think saying "aim" sounds better and more familiar. I mean yours is perfectly fine, this is just an alternative:

"I'm quite good, but my aim could use some work"

Guill

Français - France
    I wouldn't say "weakness" since it's not too bad. But both your last sentences are fine. That will make the trick. Thanks !

fields

English- England
    You might also like to know that 'lack' doesn't take a preposition. So, you could say 'what I lack is accurate shooting' or more likely, 'I still lack/miss some accuracy in shooting'. You can usually use 'miss' as you would 'lack' or manquer.
    That said, as everyone's said, you would best phrase it completely differently. 'Shooting is the only thing I'm not so good at'

< Previous | Next >