C'est le rêve qui est ma vie réelle, et la vie en est la distraction

Littleflower

French
Hello, how would you translate the following proverbe ?

"C'est le rêve qui est ma vie réele, et la vie en est la distraction" Alfred de Vigny

Merci à tous,

• crazyteapot

Scotland, english
    hi
    how about: i consider my dreams as my real life, and life itself to be a mere distraction? or i live in my dreams, and life itself is a mere distraction?

hope that helps :)

crazy teapot

Moon Palace

French
    Couldn't we say here 'fantasy is my real life, life itself is but a distraction'
    ? I wonder about the word 'fantasy' that would imho suit Alfred de Vigny's meaning.

Canard

English, USA
    "en" here I think links "la distraction" to "ma vie réelle". I also get no feeling of "my" about "le rêve".

Suggestoin:
    Dreams are my real life, and life (itself) is a distraction from it.

VictaHeri

English (USA)
    It logically makes sense that he's talking about his own "rêves"; I don't think anyone would adopt someone else's!

Canard

English, USA
    The impression I get is not "my dreams" which is a synonym for "my aspirations" or the like, but that it's fantasy or the dreamworld that is his life and hence life itself being a mere distraction from it.
    Interpreting it as "my hopes" makes no sense for that context, unless it means to equate real life with complications in realizing those, in which case it's just a distraction, which is a more far-fetched interpretation in my opinion.

VictaHeri

English (USA)
    Interpreting it as "my hopes" makes no sense for that context, unless it means to equate real life with complications in realizing those, in which case it's just a distraction, which is a more far-fetched interpretation in my opinion.
    Point taken. It is a very loose translation, but I couldn't think of exactly the right word-- and still can't! I don't think "dream" and "aspiration" quite have the right sense...

catay

Canada anglais
    Une rêverie perpétuelle, que l'action et la parole dérangent, voilà quelle a été ma vie (...). C'est le rêve qui est ma vie réelle, et la vie en est la distraction (VIGNY, Journal poète, 1851, p. 1285).
    citation from Le Trésor

Here I think "rêve" refers back to "rêverie" or "reverie", a term used in English as well: "a state of abstracted musing, daydreaming" (definition from Answers.com).... It is this state of mind that defines the poet's real life. I can't think of an adequate way to express this at the moment. :(Wait for other suggestions.

< Previous | Next >