C'est une tuerie

nathnath

french
Hi you all ,

I would like to translate "c'est une tuerie".

Context :

- About a chocolate cake that I've just tasted, to say it's very good : I would say "c'est une tuerie" ;

- About a new song/ a piece of clothes that I enjoy much : I'd say "c'est une tuerie".

TIA,

;)

• Gez

French (France)
    And more faithful to the original idiom's very unformal usage... Judging from various internet conversations I had, I'd half-heartedly suggest something like "fanfuckingtastic", but there's probably a better choice.

Garou22

Canada-English
    Lol-fanfuckingtastic, quel mot!

You can say many things i guess....in a very informal context i'd probably say 'it's orgasmic' for food etc.

For clothes or music we wouldn't really use this though. We'd probably just add a curse word to an adjective:'It's F***ing amazing/awesome.'

Again, not to be used formally!:)

watergirl

English, U.S.A.
    Hi you all ,

I would like to translate "c'est une tuerie".

Context :

- About a chocolate cake that I've just tasted, to say it's very good : I would say "c'est une tuerie" ;

- About a new song/ a piece of clothes that I enjoy much : I'd say "c'est une tuerie".
    In American English (des jeunes), there's a quite literal equivalent: "It's killer!"
    So, par exemple, tu peux dire: "That cake was killer!" or "That new song, man! it was killer!"
    (NB: it's used as an adjective, not a noun as in the French.)

Garou22

Canada-English
    Hmmm....'it's killer' is definately an American saying! Come to think of it, I know that in Ireland the phrase,'it's deadly' is used a lot...which might be a more literal equivalent. 'That song is deadly!' Or 'That was a deadly concert!'

ali8928

Mandarin - China
    I can't imagine a teenager saying that... whereas I can't imagine anyone over 16 saying "c'est une tuerie"; I'd go with "it's killer!" instead.
    Does it means it's too childish for an adult to say 'c'est une tuerie'? Then, what does a French use to express the compliment in daily life? It's quite confusing.

Jean V.

Français (de France)
    J'ai des collègues fonctionnaires de 30, 40 ans qui utilisent l'expression pour du chocolat justement, c'est une tuerie.

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    Does it means it's too childish for an adult to say 'c'est une tuerie'? Then, what does a French use to express the compliment in daily life? It's quite confusing.
    Welcome ali8928!
    No, it's ok to use it with friends, or relatives. It's not formal, though, so perhaps not at work with the boss, depending on the relationship you have with the boss.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    J'ai des collègues fonctionnaires de 30, 40 ans qui utilisent l'expression pour du chocolat justement, c'est une tuerie.
    I don't think "killer" would be used in that sense by many people over 30 in the US. It's definitely a recent term adopted by young people here.

More general, but up-to-date colloquial terms for this could be kick-ass or mind-blowing, or on a more standard register, amazing or incredible.

(Often restaurants with very rich chocolate desserts will call them "Death by Chocolate" :D )

Last edited:

muppditt

English- United States
    A personal favorite, but perhaps regional? I am not sure where it originated: hip-hop culture? a movie? I am from San Francisco and would hear people of all different colors say this....
    "That (food item) was so good, it made me want to slap my grandma!' or 'I wanted to slap my grandma'

< Previous | Next >