c'est vous obliger que de vous donner...

Crescent

Russian, (Ukraine)
Bonjour à tous! :)
J'ai un peu du mal à comprendre le grammaire de cette phrase, ainsi que le sens :eek::(:

''Enfin vous aimez tant à aimer user l'indulgence, que c'est vous obliger que de vous donner des motifs de revenir sur un jugement trop rigoureux.''

Ma tentative: You like using indulgence (?:eek:) so much that it obliges you to have motifs to come back to a too harsh judgement.

Somehow, that doesn't make any sense in my mind at all...:eek:
Quelqu'un pourrtait-il m'aider, s'il vous plaît..?:)

Merci d'avance! :)

• Papymaj

Belgium - French
    Bonjour à tous! :)
    J'ai un peu du mal à comprendre le grammaire de cette phrase, ainsi que le sens :eek::(:

''Enfin vous aimez tant à aimer user l'indulgence, que c'est vous obliger que de vous donner des motifs de revenir sur un jugement trop rigoureux.''

Ma tentative: You like using indulgence (?:eek:) so much that it obliges you to have motifs to come back to a too harsh judgement.

Somehow, that doesn't make any sense in my mind at all...:eek:
    Quelqu'un pourrtait-il m'aider, s'il vous plaît..?:)

Merci d'avance! :)
    Bonjour,
    Ce n'est pas aisé, réellement.
    Pour commencer, il me semble que le texte original est: "Enfin vous aimez tant à aimer user d'indulgence, que c'est vous obliger que de vous donner des motifs de revenir sur un jugement trop rigoureux".

En français actuel, la phrase voudrait dire à peu près:" Enfin, vous appréciez tellement faire preuve d'indulgence, que c'est vous rendre service que de vous donner des raisons de revenir sur un jugement trop rigoureux"

I hope this make more sense for you.
    Bonne chance pour la traduction.

Papymaj

Belgium - French
    Hello,

This is my try in English :

"You like so much to be indulgent, that this is to do you a favor to provide you with arguments to review a too harsh judgment"

But definitively, this as to be reviewed by a English speaker...

Buzz Lightyear

English - American
    Both the original sentence as well as the attempted translation are confusing to me and it doesn't seem to have been resolved. Is there anyone who might like to take it on again? Anyone?
    :)

qwill

""il me semble que le texte original est: "Enfin vous aimez tant à aimer user d'indulgence, que c'est vous obliger que de vous donner des motifs de revenir sur un jugement trop rigoureux"."" (Papymaj)

C'est exactement ça. Donc, pour simplifier (dans la mesure où ce genre de phrase le permet) :

You like so much to be charitable with people that asking you to moderate the harshness of your judgements is like being kind to you. [But i'm sure someone will make a better try at this...]

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    A try:"You like to be indulgent/tolerant to the point that/You like to be indulgent/tolerant so much that it's doing you a favor to give you a reason to mitigate a harsh judg(e)ment" - ?

Maîtreaupôle

anglais "Canada"
    I believe Papymajs has come up with a rather convincing explanation of the sense of a very poorly constructed French sentence. His try in English, however, may be confusing you, Buzz. I'd give the English for his French try as "You so love acting indulgently that, for example, a person is doing you a favour to provide you with any excuse to soften an overly harsh judgment."

That said, my suggestion for meaning is given with trepidation. The original sentence in French is (I think) a real can of worms. Maybe more context would help in deciphering it.

(I didn't see Quill's try. I think it's much better than mine.)

Last edited:

qwill

Thanks ! But I'm not that much proud of it ... I like the idea (ain'ttranslationfun? and Maîtreaupôle) of "doing you a favor...

Something like : "You like so much to be charitable with people that asking you to moderate the harshness of your judgements is doing you a favor..."

Je crois d'ailleurs que la citation originale doit être :

Enfin vous aimez tant à user d'indulgence [j'ai retiré le deuxième "aimer" qui me semble de trop] , que c'est vous obliger que de vous donner des motifs de revenir sur un jugement trop rigoureux"

La langue ressemble à celle du 17è ou 18è siècle... La traduction - s'il doit y en avoir une - devrait peut-être alors s'adapter à une tournure plus ancienne...

pointvirgule

langue française
    [...] a very poorly constructed French sentence. [...]
    Well... it is indeed 18th century literature (Laclos, Les Liaisons dangereuses, 1782, considered a masterpiece).

Confirming qwill's intuition, the exact quote reads,
    Enfin vous aimez tant à user d'indulgence, que c'est vous obliger que de vous donner des motifs de revenir sur un jugement trop rigoureux. (Source, with a complete analysis of Letter XXII)
    It's too bad G**gle B**ks won't let me read the matching passage in the English translation.

Kudos for everyone's attempts, though I must say Kelly's, below, sounds pretty neat.

Last edited:

Kelly B

USA English
    My try (thanks, PV, that version makes more sense):
    It so pleases you to exercise indulgence that giving you cause to revise an overly harsh judgment serves as a favor to you.

< Previous | Next >