Cesto/cespo di Radicchio

< Previous | Next >
  • Martuzzola

italian
    Buongiorno, mi scuso per il precedente messaggio forse non molto chiaro. Devo scrivere una ricetta in cui tra i vari ingredienti devo tradurre : 2 Cesti di Radicchio. Ho cercato la parola cesto ma chiaramente non si riferisce al modo in cui la utilizziamo noi in italiano (sia contenitore che unità): Qualcuno saprebbe dirmi come tradurlo? Cesto di radicchio o cesto di insalata in generale.
    Grazie mille

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    Personalmente direi "head of radicchio di Treviso or head of red lettuce". Anch'io sono per "cespo" anche se ho visto su Traccani che si può usare anche "cesto".

Per il "contenitore" suggerisco "basket".

Bye,
    Benzene

Last edited:

Martuzzola

italian
    G
    Grazie mille !

Personalmente direi "head of radicchio di Treviso or red lettuce". Anch'io sono per "cespo" anche se ho visto su Traccani che si può usare anche "cesto".

Per il "contenitore" suggerisco "basket".

Bye,
    Benzene
    Grazie mille è stato molto utile, in effetti spesso non riusciamo a trovare magari anche in italiano la parola più consona.
    Scriverò 2 heads of Radicchio.
    Bye!
    Marta

metazoan

US English
    Radicchio in BE si dice 'red chicory'. Non utilizziamo il termine italiano e credo onestamente che quasi nessuno lo capirebbe.
    Interesting contrast with the US, where the word "radicchio" (alone, without "di Treviso") is used as such in supermarkets and restaurants, and you won't hear it called "red chicory".

tsoapm

English (England)
    Non utilizziamo il termine italiano e credo onestamente che quasi nessuno lo capirebbe.
    Has it made inroads in recent years perhaps? I see it can be found at lexico.com. I wouldn’t have known what it meant when I left England in 2008, but I was hardly familiar with ‘red chicory’ at the time either.

london calling

UK English
    It was labelled as 'chicory' when I bought some in London over Xmas (Sainsbury's). Of course it's now fashionable to use foreign languages (which nobody can ever pronounce but are ever so pleased to use... snobbery is rife these days) so I won't be surprised if they start using the Italian term. :)

That said, our local Lidl was selling 'celery storks' (bless 'em). :D

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Australians pronounce it rad ick ee oh. :D

Jamie Oliver uses the Italian word in some of his recipes, so I’m sure it’ll catch on in the UK.

Last edited:

Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    I commonly use both. I am not a botanic but maybe the common difference between red chicory (known better as of Verona, I presume, but nothing to do with the red cabbage) and radicchio might have been the shape as the radicchio (known better as di Treviso) was exported later around the globe.

A User

Italiano
    'Radicchio' e 'Cicoria Rossa' sono equivalenti, almeno dal punto di vista commerciale e culinario.

Radicchio.JPG

Martuzzola

italian
    I have to say a big "Thank you" to all of you! You taught me many thinks I didn't know! My job is doing cooking classes to foreign people, most of them from US, but I have some friends and foodphotography teachers from UK also. Because of this reasons, it is very interesting to read all the options! Grazie mille !

< Previous | Next >