ceux qui...en seront tout chose

Charlie Parker

English Canada
It is describing the characters in a new polar. « Ceux qui se plaignent de la mollesse des héros masculins dans la littérature québécoise en seront tout chose.»
"All who complain of the lifelessness of male heros in Quebec literature will find everything they want [in this book]" Je suis perdu. I'm just guessing. I can't find this construction or idiom. And why wouldn't tout agree with chose in gender. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Merci d'avance.

• harrythelm

USA English
    tout chose refers to a strong emotional reaction. I don't believe it to be especially specific
    All those readers who complain that the males in Quebec literature are wimps are going to be shaken by these. (I am sure you'll find better than "shaken")

Charlie Parker

English Canada
    Thank you Caroline. That fits the context exactly. Readers will be in for a surprise when they read this new novel by a noted Quebec author. Just after I posted my question I found chose as a masculine noun in Collins Robert être/se sentire tout chose "to be/feel not quite oneself."

Icetrance

US English
    Well, when it's feminine, you say "toute chose". Masculine plural: tout choses (although you see it in the masculine singular at times because it's supposedly "invariable"...I'm not sure). Feminine plural: toutes choses

"Tout chose" is hard to translate at times. You really have to grasp the context. Here, it does mean they will be shocked in a vague sort of way. But I'm not sure if it is best translation. The idea here is that they will have a funny feeling (inexplicable) when they discover these new characters. I might say: It will be an odd moment coming for those complaining about weak heroes...

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I realize that this is an old (very) thread. However given this definition copied from CNRTL (notice « mot inv. » at the top) :
    Être tout chose. Être décontenancé, mal à l'aise, pour une raison physique ou morale indéfinissable. Un air tout chose; rendre qqn tout chose. Synon. désappointé, embarrassé, interdit, perplexe, souffrant, triste.
    I would say that in Charlie's context, the adjectives that I bolded are more likely.

Dumbfounded? Disconcerted? Speechless? Flabbergasted? (may be not this last one :D)

That said, in my opinion the expression was an odd choice in this context.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >