Chad / Chadian ?

< Previous | Next >

JonnieJag

English FRANCE
I'm looking for a French-English glossary giving the translation for inhabitants of cities and countries in Africa. Any tips ?
cheers

• JonnieJag

English FRANCE
    I thought of that but it often seems that websites from French-speaking African countries don't always make the effort to translate. I often find
    the Ivory Coast as Côte d'Ivoire for example.
    What I really need is a definitive glossary. I mean there has to be one right ? I hope!

mjscott

American English
    May you find your resource! I just scanned through the specialized glossaries in the forum and found nothing--but many of the people who frequent the forum are very resourceful in finding exactly what you want. You may have to be patient, though--as most of us have a life outside of WordReference Forum!
    Good luck!

Brioche

Australia English
    JonnieJag said:
    I thought of that but it often seems that websites from French-speaking African countries don't always make the effort to translate. I often find
    the Ivory Coast as Côte d'Ivoire for example.
    What I really need is a definitive glossary. I mean there has to be one right ? I hope!
    The Ivory Coast doesn't want to translate its name. It wants to be known as Côte d'Ivoire.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_coast

In October 1985 the government requested that the country be known as Côte d'Ivoire in every language. In fact, according to national law, the name of the country cannot be translated from French. Of course, this law can only apply within the country itself.

Hello,

What are the people of Chad called?
    • Chadians & Chadiens. The people of Chad belong to a variety of ethnic groups. Northern and central Chad consist of Muslim (Arab) ethnic groups including the Toubou, Hadjerai, Fulbe, Kotoko, Kanembou, Baguirmi, Boulala, Zaghawa, and Maba. Southern Chad consists of non-Muslim (black African peoples) ethnic groups including the Sara, Ngambaye, Mbaye, Goulaye, Moundang, Moussei, and Massa.
    I found this on the web simply by typing in "What are the people of Chad called?"

I doubt if you will find an international glossary covering the inhabitants of different countries. It's best to search for the country you are enquiring about.

Good luck!

LRV

JonnieJag

English FRANCE
    Yes, no doubt due to Houphouet-Boigny's incredibly close ties with France. Curious they didn't want to come up with an African name isn't it ?

Brioche

Australia English
    The people from Nigeria are Nigerians.

The adjective from Niger is Nigerien.

And just to confuse things, in German, Nigeria is Nigerien.

< Previous | Next >