chair-o-planes or swing ride?

Emma Neve

Italian
Hi there you wonderful people!

I've looked it up in the dictionary (but I wasn't very lucky). And Wikipedia gives us an embarassingly long list of terms to describe this ride.
My question: what would be, in your opinion, the most used word in British English to describe that type of ride?
Thank you very much for your help!
Emma

• Emma Neve

Italian
    Thank you very much heypresto and GreenWhiteBlue.

I also found (among the others) both 'chair-o-plane' and 'chair-o-planes'... by the way, they're both singular, right?!?

chair-o-plane IS my favourite ride
    chair-o-planes IS my favourite ride

German swings? That's interesting... :)

heypresto

English - England
    A quick Google reveals that chair-o-planes are more often, but not uniquely, referred to in the plural. There are also some instances of 'chair-o-plane ride'

I hasten to add that this wasn't an exhaustive search.

Myridon

English - US
    I've never heard "chair-o-plane" in American English. The ride is made up of multiple swings/planes so plural makes sense.
    Generically, I'd say "chair swings," but different manufacturers and different amusement parks will have different names (as Parla says). I think Disneyland has "Silly Symphony Swings."

Hermione Golightly

British English
    You might find this Wiki article 'Swing rides' interesting and gives a variety of names. Perhaps that's what you call embarassing. You will have a context although you don't mention it. I can't help you with the name because I'm not old enough yet for this sort of thing, but if I were you I'd look up the names and see which occur in BE contexts. What does Alton Towers theme park call it?

If you use a name with capitals it should be in inverted commas or italics. The name 'German swings' is probably because this sort of ride was invented in Germany.
    I find it very hard to imagine they would be known as this in the UK, given national/istic sensitivities.

Last edited: