change for/replace with

< Previous | Next >

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hello, guys

Let's suppose I am at a restaurant and I order apple juice. Then, a few seconds later, I decide I wanna orange juice instead of apple juice. How could I ask the waiter to change my order?

"Can I replace the apple juice with orange juice"
or
"Can I change the apple juice for orange juice?"

thank you

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Could you make that orange juice instead of apple juice?" is what I'd probably say.

Of your two choices, only the first is grammatically correct, but using "replace" sounds as though you're substituting one for the other in a recipe, or in a vending machine. "Can I change that apple juice to orange juice?" would be fine.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    "Could you make that orange juice instead of apple juice?" is what I'd probably say.

Of your two choices, only the first is grammatically correct, but using "replace" sounds as though you're substituting one for the other in a recipe, or in a vending machine. "Can I change that apple juice to orange juice?" would be fine.
    and "Can I change THE apple juice to orange juice?"??

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I decide I wanna want an orange juice instead of apple juice.
    I agree with Florentia's first suggestion in post 2: "Could you make that orange juice instead of apple juice?" I think that's the most common way to put it.

On a side note, as often pointed out here, wanna is not a word. It is a representation of the way want to is pronounced by people speaking quickly, and should never be used except when writing dialogue. And "I want to orange juice" makes no sense - you need want an here, as I indicated above.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    I agree with Florentia's first suggestion in post 2: "Could you make that orange juice instead of apple juice?" I think that's the most common way to put it.

On a side note, as often pointed out here, wanna is not a word. It is a representation of the way want to is pronounced by people speaking quickly, and should never be used except when writing dialogue. And "I want to orange juice" makes no sense - you need want an here, as I indicated above.
    but can I say "an" orange/apple juice? are these names countable?

< Previous | Next >