change or switch the conversation ?

elyssia

chinese
Hello
He managed to ____the conversation to a less embarrasing subject .
A change B shift C switch D turn

I know there is a fixed expression that sb may change the subject , so I chose A without any further thinking . But the answer given is C.
How to differ them , is Switch here is a fixed use !

Thanks for reply !

• elyssia said:
    Hello

I know there is a fixed expression that sb may change the subject , so I chose A without any further thinking . But the answer given is C.

Thanks for reply !

Hello Elyssia.

If this is of any help to you, I don't agree that "switch the conversation" is a fixed use (in BrE at least).

Colloquially we say, "He managed to change the topic of conversation" or "He managed to switch the conversation round", or "He managed to turn the conversation round".

In your example, given a choice of four words, I too would have chosen "change".

Let's see what others have to say.:)

LRV

A90Six

England - English.
    elyssia said:
    Hello

Thanks for reply !
    Change would suggest a different topic entirely.
    A: "Mary has put on so much weight recently."
    B: "I hadn't noticed. Did you watch that film on TV last night?"

Switch would suggest moving the topic away by altering the direction.
    A: "Mary has put on so much weight recently."
    B: "I hadn't noticed. Is she still going to Spain this year."

elyssia said:
    la reine victoria
    could you please explain the real meaning of "Switch the conversation around "? Please ...

Yes Elyssia,

If you switch the conversation around, to me it means that you completely change the topic.

Example: (embarrassing subject)

A: "Did you hear about your friend Ann? They say she's having an affair with a married man?

B: "Well, I never listen to gossip!" By the way, do tell me how your children are doing at school. Did they manage to pass their exams?"

B has heard some embarrassing news about her friend Ann. She doesn't want to discuss it so she carefully switches the conversation to another topic altogether - how A's children are doing at school.

Any parent is only too keen to talk about their children so B can be pretty sure that the news of her friend Ann will not be mentioned again.

Hope this has helped.

LRV

< Previous | Next >