change / relocate / move the car

Faycelina

Polish
Hi,
I have a question about using an expression "change the car" in meaning of relocating it.
Situation: the car is parked in a forbidden place but I noticed it after some time (let's say being at the hairdresser's). I want to park it in another place. What is the best expression to say it?
1. I'll go and change the car.
2. I'll go and relocate the car.
3. I'll go and move the car.

Please, give me some comments about all 3 mentioned above. I'd use "change" but I'm afraid it can be understood as changing into another car (from BMW to Honda).
Thanks in advance!

• ewie

English English
    Hi Faycelina. Move is the verb you want. As you say, change makes it sound like either you're going to change it into a different car, or you're going to buy a new car. Relocate is too fancy, and sounds like you're planning to put it somewhere permanently.

jonmaz

English-Australia
    1. I'll go and change the car. Sounds like I am exchanging for another car.
    2. I'll go and relocate the car. Correct but unlikely to be used.
    3. I'll go and move the car The only way I would say it.

Brioche

Australia English
    1. I'll go and change the car. Sounds like I am exchanging for another car.
    2. I'll go and relocate the car. Correct but unlikely to be used.
    3. I'll go and move the car The only way I would say it.

I would not use relocate.

Sometimes when people rent a car, they want a "one way" rental.
    For example, they want to drive the car from Warsaw to Cracow, and leave the car in Cracow

The car will then have to be relocated, that is, brought back to Warsaw from Cracow. The car's location will have to change from Cracow to Warsaw.

You can often rent such cars very cheaply, if your desire to rent happens to coincide with the company's need to relocate a car.

< Previous | Next >