change the direction of A.C in car or in a room

tufguy

hindi
Do we change the direction of A.C in car or in a room? For example "I am feeling cold so change the direction of the A.C please."

• Copyright

American English
    We turn the AC up or down. We don't change its direction.

I'm a bit cold. Would you mind turning the AC/aircon/air conditioning down a little?
    It's sweltering in here – could you turn the AC/aircon/air conditioning up?

In this case, "down" doesn't mean lowering the temperature – it means lowering the strength of the air conditioning. And my examples assume the air conditioning is running when the request is made.

Edit: turning "might" to "mind."

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Fair enough, you can change direction, as can I. :) But my first thought if I'm cold or hot is to adjust the power of the air conditioning. If I'm sitting in front of the blower, I'm more inclined to get up and move. ;)

I guess that was my thought here. But I concede: you're both right about changing direction.

I would reword the original – "I am feeling cold so change the direction of the A.C please." – sound a little politer: "I'm feeling cold – could you change the direction of the air, please?" (Again, in a car, I'd just reach over and shut the vent or push the louver away from me.)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I don't like being blown at generally, and so this gets talked about at home, and so I understand you perfectly when you talk about changing the wind direction of the air-conditioner. I am usually more specific though and ask for the air-conditioning to be blowing up or down.

london calling

UK English
    I don't like being blown at generally, and so this gets talked about at home, and so I understand you perfectly when you talk about changing the wind direction of the air-conditioner. I am usually more specific though and ask for the air-conditioning to be blowing up or down.
    Up or down and/or left or right.:)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    In my experience it is not unusual for an air conditioner to have vents that can be pointed in different directions. (I've never seen an air-conditioned car where this wasn't possible.) I would probably say "Can you point the air conditioner away from me?" There are many other ways to say this.

Myridon

English - US
    In my experience it is not unusual for an air conditioner to have vents that can be pointed in different directions. (I've never seen an air-conditioned car where this wasn't possible.) I would probably say "Can you point the air conditioner away from me?" There are many other ways to say this.
    ... or Can you adjust the vents? Why the person can't do this for themselves, I don't know.

With regard to houses, we seem to have some violently different styles of air conditioning throughout the world. I can only change the direction of my air conditioning by climbing a ladder, unscrewing four screws, removing the louvered vent, turning it around so the fixed louvers point in the opposite direction, and re-installing it. It would be much easier for me to pick you up and move you. ;) Turning my A/C up or down doesn't change the amount of the airflow, it would cause it to start or stop with the room hotter or colder.

sdgraham

USA English
    Being pedantic, I'll observe that the air-conditioning unit in a vehicle not only is is rigidly mounted on the engine, but is integral with the heating system -- and cannot be moved.

Thus, I'll stick with something like "redirect the cold air." :rolleyes:

london calling

UK English
    ... or Can you adjust the vents? Why the person can't do this for themselves, I don't know.
    In my place the person could only adjust the vents for themselves (up/down or left/right) if I gave them the remote control and explained how to use it (quicker to do it myself...:D). They could do it by themselves in my car as the only vent they wouldn't be able to reach is the one to the left of me (or to the right of me if driving a right-hand drive car in the UK).

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I am partially repeating things said above -- sorry.

In English, we make a distinction between the A/C itself and the flow of cold air, which comes from a fan or a vent. We redirect the fan or vent, not the A/C.

In cars, there are several vents facing the front seats, and you can easily change their direction. In homes, a standalone air conditioner (like one in a window) has a vent whose direction you can change. Central A/C has vents in each room: some you can re-direct (change the direction), others you cannot. In places I have lived recently, the horizontal direction is not changeable but the vertical direction can be changed.

In some office buildings, vents are in the ceiling, and changing the direction air flows from the vent requires a professional A/C expert using a ladder to go inside the ceilling vents. Sometimes in the past I was put in a cubicle that got a "draft" (cold air flow) all day from the A/C, and had to ask them to get a workman to change it.

tufguy

hindi
    So we cannot change the direction of an AC but we can ask to adjust the vent. Am I correct? But the blades can be adjusted that guide the air towards you. I am confused what to say.

Can we say "Blades guide the air towards you"?

london calling

UK English
    So we cannot change the direction of an AC but we can ask to adjust the vent. Am I correct? But the blades can be adjusted that guide the air towards you. I am confused what to say.

Can we say "Blades guide the air towards you"?
    We talk of vents, not blades. And air, not wind. If you adjust the vents (up/down or left/right), the direction of the air changes.

< Previous | Next >