changeable/mutable

< Previous | Next >

swim4life

Chinese, China
The following sentence sounds like a famous quote, but I don't quite understand the logic of the second part of it where the words "changeable" and "mutable" are used:

Remember what should be remembered, and forget what should be forgotten. Alter what is changeable, and accept what is mutable.

It makes sense to say "accept what can't be changed" here, but "mutable" doesn't sound logical to me, as it has the same meaning as "changeable". What do you think? Thanks!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Perhaps the writer meant to say immutable.

Added
    : I find both versions on the internet, but only one makes sense to me, for the reasons you point out.

Packard

USA, English
    Perhaps the writer meant to say immutable.

Added: I find both versions on the internet, but only one makes sense to me, for the reasons you point out.
    I agree it should be immutable.

The examples I found were Japanese translation sites. I think it is a translation error. The full translation was:

Remember what should be remembered,and forget what should be forgotten. Alter what is changeable,and accept what is mutable...

It appears that the bold face was the part that was accepted as correct and the standard face was that which was under consideration. (I don't read Japanese so it is hard for me to say exactly.)

I Googled the entire phrase and the Japanese website comes up but the link only works sometimes.

http://wenwen.soso.com/z/q29948540.htm

< Previous | Next >