changes that will rock their very existence

fluffkin

England, English
Hello,
I'm writing the final sentence of my essay and I want to deliver impact!

The sentence should say something like:
'I think that everyone should be ready to make small changes to their way of life, otherwise before long they will be confronted by changes that will rock their very existence.'

And my attempt:

'Je pense que tout le monde doit être disposé de faire les petits changements de leur mode de la vie, sinon d'ici peu ils seront confrontés aux changements qui secoueront leur propre existence. '

Should I have used the singular 'il' because I've been talking about 'tout le monde' as my subject?

Do 'd'ici peu' and 'secoueront leur propre existence' work?

Thanks, I'll be so grateful of help :)
x

• Xupz

Français (France)
    It's true that using "ils" after having used "tout le monde" sounds weird.

Perhaps you should avoid the difficulty, for instance by saying:
    "leur mode de vie (don't put "la"), sous peine d'être confronté..."

I also noticed other mistakes:
    disposé à faire rather than disposé de faire
    des petits changements rather than les
    dans leur mode de vie rather than de leur mode de la vie
    à des changements rather than aux changements (same mistake as 2nd one)

As to "rock their very existence", I would use "bouleverseront jusqu'à leur existence".
    But d' "ici peu" is fine.

Cath.S.

français de France
    Tout le monde is always in the singular, but its use is rather tricky and there have been a few discussions about this. Use les gens, it's easier to handle and means the same, so here is what I suggest:

'Je pense que les gens doivent être disposés à apporter de petits changements à leur mode de la vie, sinon d'ici peu ils seront confrontés à des (indefinite article) changements qui secoueront bouleverseront leur propre existence. '

Xupz

Français (France)
    On est d'accord sur presque tout. Je reconnais que dire "apporter de" plutôt que "faire des", c'est mieux, ici.

fluffkin

England, English
    Thank you so much, you've both been really helpful :)

I'm going to check through the rest of my work for the mistakes you found in that sentence!

x