chapstick

penguinbubble

English USA
Buon giorno a tutti! Io desidero dire 'chap stick' nell'italiano. Mi riferisco a una crema che si usa per evitare alle screpolature delle labbra. Mille grazie!

• LetsZoom

English (American)
    Ciao tutti,

From looking around on the forum, and also using the word reference dictionary, it seems that the word for what we Americans call chapstick or lip balm is "burrocacao".

In English it's one of those brand names, like kleenex, that is now used generically. I always say chapstick, whether I'm talking about Burt's Bees Lip Balm or some fancy peach flavored thing. My question is: Is burrocacao always used for the waxy, colorless, odorless balm that comes in a little plastic tube, or has chapstick been adopted into Italian? I'm asking because I shared an office with an Italian woman a couple of years ago, and she always asked "Ti fa schifo se uso il tuo chapstick?" (which it didn't; it was fine with me). She never said "burrocacao".

Grazie in anticipo!

EverIvy

Italian
    Chapstick non e' usato in italiano, non e' un termine conosciuto ne' diffuso.
    Io ho sempre sentito e usato burro cacao, no lo scriverei attaccato, ma magari va anche bene.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Just to be clear: burro cacao is the Italian term for all kinds of lip balm, whether they contain cocoa butter or not? Just like some English speakers use the term chapstick for all kinds of lip balm, whether they're Chapstick brand or not?

I say "some" English speakers because I feel that I've changed my term over time: I would have definitely said "chapstick" and not "lip balm" in the 1980s, but today only say "lip balm." I don't know if "chapstick" is actually a dated term (or if it varies geographically) but it sounds that way to me.

ohbice

No, direi di no. Non ne so assolutamente nulla della materia, ma leggo in rete che esistono "balsami per le labbra" che non hanno, tra gli ingredienti, i grassi ottenuti dal cacao.

Last edited:

EverIvy

Italian
    Just to be clear: burro cacao is the Italian term for all kinds of lip balm, whether they contain cocoa butter or not? Just like some English speakers use the term chapstick for all kinds of lip balm, whether they're Chapstick brand or not?

I say "some" English speakers because I feel that I've changed my term over time: I would have definitely said "chapstick" and not "lip balm" in the 1980s, but today only say "lip balm." I don't know if "chapstick" is actually a dated term (or if it varies geographically) but it sounds that way to me.
    Exactly, burro cacao = lip balm, magari all'inizio era composto da burro di cacao e da qui ha preso il nome.

symposium

Italian - Italy
    "Burrocacao" is definitely the Italian name for the thing you put on your lips to keep them soft and moisturized. Somebody can call it with a different name but that's just their choice and it could be not generally understood, unlike "burrocacao".

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    I don't know if "chapstick" is actually a dated term (or if it varies geographically) but it sounds that way to me.
    Please look at the graph below:
    Cattura.PNG
    Bye,
    Benzene