Chapter title

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jb35, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jb35 New Member

French
    Hi everyone!

I'm writing a research in english and I'm wondering if the formulation of my titles are correct. Is it right to begin each chapter title with A, An, One or should I turn the sentence differently?

Ex :

1. One site in an evolving area

2. A challenging social and economic context

3. One site in the centre of a metropolitan transport network

4. A cultural heritage to consider

5. A diversity of urban forms

6. An uncompleted green belt

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
  2. tepatria Senior Member

Onondaga, Ontario
    Canadian English
    Hello jb35, welcome to the forum. It would be helpful if we knew the title of the paper you are writing and a little about the content. Without that I cannot tell you how to proceed. I do not know what site refers to and if it needs an article.

3. Beryl from Northallerton Senior Member

British English
    Hello jb35, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

Since this work sounds a little technical, I suggest that you use no articles for these headings.

The titles as you have them (with introductory articles) makes it look a novel. :) (Cross-posted)

4. jb35 New Member

French
    Hello tepatria,

I'm writing an essay about a neighborhood. It is a research in urban planning, and "the site" is the actually the construction site of my project.
    In the part "A cultural heritage to consider" I would like to explain, as example, what are the important building to preserve in this neighborhood.
    The chapter "One site in an evolving area" will be about the different projects which are in construction in this area of the city.

Thank you for your help!

5. tepatria Senior Member

Onondaga, Ontario
    Canadian English
    Now it makes more sense. I agree with Beryl that you should leave out the articles. I read all of them with that in mind and they sound better without the articles.

6. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

Indiana
    English - US
    I'm with Beryl. It's your research project and you can call your chapters anything you want. None of your titles are grammatically incorrect. However, the kinds of titles you list sound wordy and quaint. I have never seen chapter titles like these except in novels, and usually in old novels or children's novels. Using "A" or "An" is not, itself a problem, but I think your titles should be a bit more terse.

1. One site in an evolving area An Evolving Area

2. A challenging social and economic context Social and Economical Context

3. One site in the centre of a metropolitan transport network Metropolitan Transport Effect

4. A cultural heritage to consider Preserving Cultural Heritage

5. A diversity of urban forms Diversity in Urban Forms

6. An uncompleted green belt Green Belt Simplification

Please bear in mind that these are just suggestions for the tone of your titles. I can't advise you on what the actual chapter titles should be. I haven't read your work.

Just my opinion.

7. jb35 New Member

French
    Thank you for your answers!

So I will go with :
    1. Site in an evolving area
    2. Challenging social and economic context
    3. Site in the centre of a metropolitan transportation network
    4. Cultural heritage to consider
    5. Diversity of urban forms
    5. Uncompleted green belt

It sound a bit funny for me because but it is probably because I think in French!

Thank you very much!

8. jb35 New Member

French
    Thank you Sparky, it was exactly my problem. I knew it was not grammatically wrong, but it sounded like a bad translation from French :)