Characteristic & annoying habits [will/would]

lux86

Polish, Poland
Hello, my first post:D

The doubt is:
1.She will always complain to me!
2.She would always complain to me!
Do the first sentence refer to the present and the second to the past only??

Each time I come back, they will watch TV!
Each time I come back, they would watch TV!

The same question (above).

Talking about annoying habits, does "would" in such a meaning refer only to the past??

Can "will" be referred to annoying habits, too??? (or rather neutral)

Thx for your help!!

• Welcome to the Forums! :)

lux86 said:
    Each time I came back, they would watch TV!

To the best of my knowledge will in this context refers to the presence only. E.g. My pen won't write (now).
    My pen wouldn't write (when I had a test).

Hope that helps and of course wait for native speakers opinions :)

Take care

lux86

Polish, Poland
    I wrote "come" on purpose, to check if its gramatically correct when combined with "would".

Im quite familiar with usage of "would" refering to the past but the doubt is whether it can be referred to the present, too. (In case of annoying habits).

And, of course , thank u for your contribution. I appreciate!

Hello lux86,

Please see my answers below in BLUE.

1.She will always complain to me!
    2.She would always complain to me!
    Do the first sentence refer to the present and the second to the past only??

The first sentence employs the word "will". This references the future tense. If you want to put that sentence into the present tense you would say "She always complains to me".

The second sentence uses the word "would" in the past tense. However "would" can also be used in the conditional as in "If I were a cow I would eat grass". The reason for this is the condition of having to be a cow in order to eat grass.

I have to logoff now because the server is being shut down. I hope the answers above help.

Each time I come back, they will watch TV!

The same question (above).

Talking about annoying habits, does "would" in such a meaning refer only to the past??

Can "will" be referred to annoying habits, too??? (or rather neutral)

M56

Banned
    Britain. English.
    drei_lengua said:
    Hello lux86,...
    The first sentence employs the word "will". This references the future tense. If you want to put that sentence into the present tense you would say "She always complains to me".
    Take a look at this and tell me what you think:

Each time we vist her mother, she will insist on staying for hours. It's so annoying.

As for annoying habits and "will":

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Will does not always indicate the future. In M56's example "will" suggests willfulness:) Including "insist on" helps to make that clear.

Each time I come back, they will insist on watching TV.
    Each time I came back, they would insist on watching TV.

The original sentences would be clear in speech - with stress on "will".

judkinsc

English, USA
    majlo said:

Does that even indicate annyance to the same extent as She is always complaining to me? Or does that even indicate annoyance in general?
    "She always complains to me" can be taken in more than one way.

"She is always complaining to me" is more emphatic and reveals more annoyance.

The more natural way to say it, though, is "She is always complaining about something to me." or "She always comes to me complaining about something."

I don't really like the "to me" for a natural flow, but it works if you want to use it.

Thus, "She's always complaining about something." and "She complains all the time." are the most common ones that I hear and both are expressions of annoyance.

twinkletoes56

English USA
    Hello,

I'd just like to add my two cents' worth on "will" in expressing habits, as in the following sample:

On Sundays we always go to Grandma's to eat. Sometimes she makes roast beef and sometimes she'll make chicken, but it's always good.

This is like using "would" with past tense habits:

On Sundays we always used to go to Grandma's to eat. Sometimes she'd make roast beef and sometimes she made chicken, but it was always good.

"Will" doesn't always have to express annoyance.

page

Spanish
    Hi there,

I have a bit of a query. Can I use will for annoyance when referring to myself? Like "I will always be late to that class" I have always used it to refer to somebody else. What do you think?

< Previous | Next >