1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

chastisement of our peace was laid upon him

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sb70012, Apr 26, 2013.

1. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Translating the Bible (Isaiah Iiii.3-6)
    From The Great Bible

He is despised and abhorred of men. He is Such a man as is full of sorrow and as hath good experience of infirmities. We have reckoned him so vile that we hid our faces from him. Yet, he was despised and therefore we regarded him not. Howbeit he only hath taken on him our infirmities and borne our pains. Yet we did judge him, as though he were plagued and cast down of God and punished. Whereas he (notwithstanding) was wounded for our offenses and smitten for our wickedness. For the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him and with his stripes we are healed. As for us, we have gone all astray, like sheep; every one hath turned his own way. But the Lord hath heaped together upon him the iniquity of us all.

Source: Norton Anthology of English Literature

What's the meaning of the red sentence (For the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him)?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Do you know which bible translation this is? It is very traditional English, and many words are not used as we would use them today.

If you search the web for Isaiah 53:3-6 you will find a number of modern translations.

Now, as to the question. ;)

According to the WordReference Dictionary, chastisement means
    vb (transitive)
    • to discipline or punish, esp by beating
    • to scold severely

One of the meanings of "peace", as used in that verse, is "well-being".

Finally, remember that "for" can also mean "because".

So, taking the first meaning of chastisement and putting it all together, we have "Because the punishment [that will bring about] our well-being was laid upon him."

Is that helpful at all?

3. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Thanks for answering but not understood yet.
    Because this sentence (the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him) doesn't make sense to me.

4. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    I just explained it word by word, sb. Can you be more explicit about what is not making sense?

5. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    I mean would you pleas rewrite this sentence (the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him) in a modern and simple form?

Because (Punishment of peace) doesn't make sense to me.

6. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    I did explain. :)

This is archaic and stylized language. The phrase "punishment of our peace" in this particular context only means "the punishment that will give us peace" or "bring about our peace".

7. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Now I understood. Thank you very much dear Nunty.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013