che avrebbe avuto la sua base logistica

< Previous | Next >

legnoduro

United States, English
Ciao a tutti,

"L'organizzazione criminale, che avrebbe avuto la sua base logistica a Sibari, avrebbe sfruttato anche ragazze minorenni e donne incinte."

I would translate this sentence as:
The criminal enterprise, that had its base of operation in Sibari, had also exploited underage girls and pregnant women.

If I translate it literally:
The criminal enterprise, that would have had its base of operation in Sibari, would have exploited underage girls and pregnant women.

The timeline of the prosecution in the news article supports my first translation. They were captured and prosecuted. Why is the conditional used?

• neuromatico

English (Canadian)
    If you're referring to this article, the condizionale passato is being used to refer to allegations. They were arrested, but have not yet been tried.

legnoduro

United States, English
    Yes that is the article and I meant to say they were captured and charged. I have read articles with the condizionale passato used often in similar situations. Is it equivalent to using the phrase "the alleged"?

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    This use of the conditional in general (present as well as past) has already been discussed in this thread.
    It's important to realize that both the present and past conditional can be used in this sense:

Secondo alcuni critici Shakespeare sarebbe l'autore del sonetto

I don't think "alleged" works here. You could say "may well be", "is likely to be" or something like that.

So it's not just used in crime reporting but also in conversation to refer to something that is supposed to be true or to have happened:

Gliel'avrebbe detto lui? Non ci credo!

This is more like "he'supposed to have told him/her?" or "(some) people are saying/claiming that he told him/her?".

God only knows what I'm doing here posting at this ungodly hour of the morning!

< Previous | Next >